parkrun is back

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
But you need a bike for that. You can run shoeless as many of our ancient ancestors would be only to willing to confirm. If they weren't prevented from doing so by these Covid restrictions.
Blimey! I didn't realise Covid restrictions were all that was stopping our dead ancestors running naked through the streets! Hurrah for Covid? ;)

bitsandbobs

Über Member
But you need a bike for that. You can run shoeless as many of our ancient ancestors would be only to willing to confirm. If they weren't prevented from doing so by these Covid restrictions.

True. There was a lot of talk about barefoot running a few years ago and I spot the odd barefooter now and again.

At least at the more competitive end though, running seems to be undergoing a technological revolution right now. All sorts of records begin broken with a relative unknown getting to smash a Seb Coe record.

One of the myths recycled by non runners. Yes, some people get joint issues who happen to run and they may give up running because of the joint pain. But it's not the running that caused the joint issues, these people could be walkers, swimmers or whatever.
I think you mean:
"
... by runners who have had to switch sports due to injury,
... by physios giving advice to reduce damage from the impacts, and treatments for the consequent injuries, and
... by people who tried running but got injured.

In fact, running can help joint issues and increase bone density. It's all in the technique.

When you've developed a good rhythm and fitness level, running can feel hypnotic, natural and effortless. Runners high, look it up.
So it's natural and effortless, eh? So how come technique is so important to avoiding injury?

OP
OP
Cathryn

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Marketing ruins everything. But running should be the cheapest entry point for exercise.
The average runner doesn’t need specific socks or shorts.
The only thing I would recommend is spending money on decent shoes.
And a bra if necessary. I agree wholeheartedly, running is so cheap to do if you don't get sucked into the culture.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
I think you mean:
"
... by runners who have had to switch sports due to injury,
... by physios giving advice to reduce damage from the impacts, and treatments for the consequent injuries, and
... by people who tried running but got injured.

So it's natural and effortless, eh? So how come technique is so important to avoiding injury?

Numerous studies have shown running does not cause joint issues. In fact, it strengthens joints due to impact.

If someone develops joint issues AND happens to be a runner as well, they may not be able to run any more. That is, not the same as running causing the joint issue.

Any movement requires proper form to avoid injury. There is a correct technique to lifting a bag of sand. Running is no different. Just like you would not ride with your saddle too low or with your legs splayed.

Cirrus

Veteran
Parkruns are great and have a fantastic community feel. I've been to quite a few around the country and am always heartened to see the the enthusiasm of the organisers and the very real warm welcome that visitors (tourists) get.
I've found them to be hugely inclusive and have been the catalyst for many to get off the couch and partake in exercise.
The folks who founded it should be very proud of themselves.....

@Moodyman : there are plenty of other injuries that crop up - like muscular stuff. Do you maintain that running does not cause ANY injuries to a greater extent than cycling?
(to me, injured is injured - unable to do your preferred sport, possibly with impairments impacting day-to-day activities, and/or other forms of exercise. In the long run, the specific medical diagnosis isn't very important to me.)

PaulB

Legendary Member
@Moodyman : there are plenty of other injuries that crop up - like muscular stuff. Do you maintain that running does not cause ANY injuries to a greater extent than cycling?
(to me, injured is injured - unable to do your preferred sport, possibly with impairments impacting day-to-day activities, and/or other forms of exercise. In the long run, the specific medical diagnosis isn't very important to me.)
Depends on the person and - apparently - the size of the second toe in relation to the big toe on each foot.

Ron Hill, for instance, suffered very few injuries in his long and illustrious career which included running at least one mile (usually many, many more) every single day for over 50 years. Compare him with me who took up cycling due to the numerous injuries suffered by running too much and you get a broad spectrum of the different types of people you get keen on exercise.

Depends on the person and - apparently - the size of the second toe in relation to the big toe on each foot.
ooh, I didn't know about the toe thing!
But I totally agree that it varies between folks - and that maybe why the fortunate ones are so adamant that injuries are only a problem if you "do it wrong" :P

Meanwhile, how many healthy folks couldn't just hop on a bike and gently ride for an hour to a cafe with family/friends?

PaulB

Legendary Member
ooh, I didn't know about the toe thing!
But I totally agree that it varies between folks - and that maybe why the fortunate ones are so adamant that injuries are only a problem if you "do it wrong" :P

Meanwhile, how many healthy folks couldn't just hop on a bike and gently ride for an hour to a cafe with family/friends?
Loads. Most don't have bikes or have the wrong bike and you can't do much of anything anywhere with anyone now. In different times, the terrain and weather are the main factors that put people off, especially round here as it's very hilly. Then you've got the safety element. They don't want to get hit by a lorry on the road or if there's an option of riding along a river or canal, they won't want to fall in.

I'd argue that running is 'safer' than cycling. You're less likely to be run over or break a bone running than cycling, I suspect.
citation?? :-)

Is it safer than walking? I believe the road accident stats for walking are *roughly* the same as cycling.

(admittedly I don't know anyone that's been hospitalised from a running-RTA - but I do know a lot more cyclists than runners!)

Loads. Most don't have bikes or have the wrong bike and you can't do much of anything anywhere with anyone now. In different times, the terrain and weather are the main factors that put people off, especially round here as it's very hilly. Then you've got the safety element. They don't want to get hit by a lorry on the road or if there's an option of riding along a river or canal, they won't want to fall in.
That's a lot of "wants". Now be sensible - imagine they pop round your house and you happen to have a spare bike. How many would be *unable* to come out with you on a little jolly?

PaulB

Legendary Member
That's a lot of "wants". Now be sensible - imagine they pop round your house and you happen to have a spare bike. How many would be *unable* to come out with you on a little jolly?
All of 'em 'cos I'm not letting them use it. Who do they think they are? Never put their hand in their pocket and they probably stink.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
No, I do not suggest that running is injury free. Any physical exertion will cause micro damage to the body and usually, the body is very good at repairing this damage and making itself stronger. It's why cyclists have big calves and quads.

If the level of exertion exceeds the body's ability to repair itself or it isn't allowed to due to overuse, then long term injuries will occur.

I was merely rebuffing the popular assertion that running equals bad (joint issues) and cycling/swimming equals good.

Top Bottom