Parsleybox home delivery meals. Anyone tried them?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
My Mother in Law tried them for a while but she didn't like them. She said portions were too small (and she's only little and doesn't eat much) so she ended up having to add supplemental veg anyway. They didn't look appetising with one meal ending up a depressing shade of green all over, and they just didn't taste very good to her. She also commented that they were quite salty. You never know though, you might like them and it might have just been that they weren't for her.
I am expecting to find similar but at 20 quid for 10 meals thought It worth a punt.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Yes, we tried them, that was our experience (we are "old people", at 74yo, and not overweight), portion size would have to double or triple to be adequate, IMHO.
True imo. Wiltshire Farm have 2 size choices.
The standard size is ok but not cheap at £6ish. They do a "mini" size at £3.50ish but they are way too small.
With MrsD struggling with her appetite the mini size is good for her.

Good morning,

I had never heard of them, so off I poodled to their web site.:smile:

The first thing that struck me was wow, they have an alcohol selection, https://www.parsleybox.com/menu/wine/ so I like them!

They I headed for sausage and mash https://www.parsleybox.com/product/Sausage--mash/ and going back to the point made about malnutrition, the item was just that, no veg, although there was a side of broccoli in the product image.

Our Serving Suggestion
Make a medley of greens - spinach, tender stem broccoli and broad beans mixed with butter and cracked black pepper & a dollop of wholegrain mustard or chutney

Then looking at the turkey dinner https://www.parsleybox.com/product/Turkey-Dinner/ , again pretty short on veg, there was baby potatoes, carrots, parsnip.

The last one I looked at was a lentil hotpot https://www.parsleybox.com/product/Vegetable-Lentil-Hotpot/ a main course? Yielding only 201kc, the turkey dinner was 205kc at least the sausages and mash managed 452kc

My first reaction was that they don't have the supply chain to offer dishes that require fresh veg other than those that are easily available in almost unlimited quantities. Had there been side orders of veg that you could order at the same time then their lack in the main dish wouldn't matter much.

If you buy into the idea that we should be eating at least 30 portions of different fruit and veg a week then it is difficult to see how getting anywhere near this was possible if these meals formed a significant part of the diet without supplementary sourcing/cooking of vegetables.

Bye

Ian

Last edited:

gom

Über Member
My mother, ~90 years, has been using them for a number of years now. Lives on her own and is (to use her own words) decrepit.
Some she likes, some she doesn't. But they help keep her (almost) independent. She finds cooking for herself too much trouble now, and that doing anything just takes so long.
Also uses https://www.oakhousefoods.co.uk/ - which I think she prefers just now.

Such meals are growing in popularity especially among those who reside alone. I haven't tried this brand but surprised that processed / cooked food can be stored without refrigeration and with extended shelf life of months. When I tasted them I was surprised that tasted decent. Some notes which some have already mentioned.
  • The portions are indeed small even for an average person. Supplement this with cooked rice, couscous, pasta or more mixed vegetables.
  • Tend to be salty but if you supplement with other stuff mentioned above it will be a good spread.
  • I found curries to come out well such as Thai Green curry compared to western cuisine. No idea why.
  • They are becoming more affordable.
I don't think they are a good comparison for good freshly good meal but good enough as a reserve or to alternate with freshly cooked food. Certainly better than fast food burgers and the like.

Got to say I am impressed by the technology.

Last edited:

Brandane

Legendary Member
whilst the portion size is perfect for old people, I think there's occasions I could eat a couple of them for one meal.
She said portions were too small (and she's only little and doesn't eat much)
Quite a few saying the portions were far too small
Yes, we tried them, that was our experience (we are "old people", at 74yo, and not overweight), portion size would have to double or triple to be adequate, IMHO.
The portions are indeed small even for an average person.

Being a person of healthy appetite, aka greedy git; I think I have read enough.
I'm out! 😄

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Update.
Meals arrived last night.....good service.
Opened the box and one of the meals had 'leaked' in to the box. Phoned them. They are sending out another 10 meals.
I told them it is only one meal but they insist on sending a complete pack of 10 meals.
I will try one later and report back.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Update.
Opened the box and one of the meals had 'leaked' in to the box. Phoned them. They are sending out another 10 meals.
I told them it is only one meal but they insist on sending a complete pack of 10 meals.
All round to yours for a buffy then :smile:

Update.
mm - remain doubtful dave - if you sicken of them i suppose they can go to a homeless charity or something.

presta

Guru
They're eye-wateringly expensive, and about half the FSA recommended portion size for an evening meal. The handful I checked were up to £11 per 1000kcal, compared with £1.72 for my evening meals, and 270 - 400 kcals compared to 750 recommended. My experience of heating stuff in the microwave is that it won't heat evenly unless it's something you can stir.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Update.
Just tried a lasagne. Bear in mind my appetite is shot .. pleasantly surprised. Very tasty and filled the hole I needed it to fill.
Not sure I would be happy at paying full price but for what I paid it was good.

vickster

Legendary Member
They're eye-wateringly expensive, and about half the FSA recommended portion size for an evening meal. The handful I checked were up to £11 per 1000kcal, compared with £1.72 for my evening meals, and 270 - 400 kcals compared to 750 recommended. My experience of heating stuff in the microwave is that it won't heat evenly unless it's something you can stir.
You probably aren't the target demographic however - likely an elderly person not very active, unable to shop easily for themselves who wants something quick and easy to put in the microwave. I doubt they really consider cost per calorie as important in their food choices (any more than I do!)

Top Bottom