Part needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HOU5EY

I need to get hold of a spacer to go on the bottom bracket so that my crankset sit slightly further out as my front mech can't quite get down to the bottom cog. Is there such a thing and what's it called as I can't find anything online. Thanks

dave pp

Fitted a new shimano deore bb on my mountain bike last year and there were spacers included with that, 1mm (x2) and 3.5mm Just google shimano bb spacer or try sjs cycles.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I've seen bottom brackets with spacers to prevent the small chainring from scraping the chain stay, so they do exist.

Citius

Sounds like you need to adjust your rear mech, rather than space the cassette.

He's talking about the front - not the back.

Assuming you have an external BB - what you need is a bottom bracket spacer. They're all on ebay in various widths.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I guess you are running a triple crankset and are missing the plastic spacer from the non drive side crank.

As in this pic.
53581-largest_02_Triple_spacer.jpg

OP
OP
H

HOU5EY

With the new crankset the small cog is only about 2mm away from the back forks and the mech doesn't drop down that far. I need a spacer between the frame and the crankset

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 27
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 28

Citius

With the new crankset the small cog is only about 2mm away from the back forks and the mech doesn't drop down that far. I need a spacer between the frame and the crankset

That looks like an internal/square taper BB, which means that fitting a spacer is not an option. You need a BB with a longer axle. Whatever chainset you have should also tell you somewhere what length BB you need.

OP
OP
H

HOU5EY

My old crankset had a lip that made it stand out further

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.3 KB · Views: 17
OP
OP
H

HOU5EY

That looks like an internal/square taper BB, which means that fitting a spacer is not an option. You need a BB with a longer axle. Whatever chainset you have should also tell you somewhere what length BB you need.
If I get a bb with a longer axle will that not just be longer on the outside? My mech won't go in far enough so I was thinking that the crankset needs to come out further?

Top Bottom