Parts bin Shimpagnolo turbo trainer build.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Just a quick update, The “Shimpag” has become a firm family favourite with all four of us thrashing it daily, it’s been perfect and the Shiftmate is doing it’s job well.

I’ve made small change. I found some Ultegra 6600 calipers in my stash of treasure, so I scrubbed them up and fitted them.

crazy I know, especially on a turbo bike, but I’m strangely drawn to it, my plan is to pop a rear tyre on and try on the road later this year, I’m sure it’ll ride really well, if it does I’ll buy a spare wheel so I can just quickly swap them over.

12boy

Guru
I have 3 wheel sets for my Surly Steamroller....one with an SA 3 speed to help cope with the Schwalbe studded snows which drag a bit, and 2 single speeds, one with a 16 tooth sprocket and one with an 18. I can pop any of them on my 82 Holdsworth Special which ordinarily has a 5 sprocket, 2 chainring set up. All of them are cartridge bearing, except the SA hub, and apart from a bit of truing are maintenance free. Over the years I've found having multiple wheel sets very useful.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
As I recently fitted new tyres to my road bike, I recycled the old GP 4000's and fitted them to the Shimpag, I've now also bought a spare "turbo" wheel, which I'm just waiting for another identical cassette to arrive.

So today first ever ride out on the road, with it's modest 9 speed Sora groupset mated to a Campag Chorus cassette I didn't have high expectations but it was really good to ride, smooth, quiet and felt very light and quick. I'll definitely be enjoying it more over the summer, and it's useful to have a spare bike when we finally have visitors again.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Another update. A big upgrade is now planned so I can use it as a road bike this year, as well as on the turbo. The Sora/Campag set up is OK on the turbo but probably not ideal for longer rides, plus 10 speed beckons, and I’m addicted to upgrading, I just can’t leave it alone!

So a full groupset swap is planned, I’ve just sourced a reasonably priced and very lightly used 2015 Mirage groupset which will suit the bike well.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I've now removed the Sora groupset and it's all ready for it's second incarnation!

I can't believe how light the Deda EM2 frameset is, apparently they are super-fragile because the alloy tubing is so thin. Built up with the Mirage groupset and Eurus wheels it will be interesting to see what it weighs in at.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Fitted the Campy crankset this morning, it’s all beautiful quality, the bearing cups are a work of art

you need some heavy duty tools to fit it compared with a Shimano hollotech.

looks great though, and in really nice condition. I now need to find some time to do a bit more

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
Nearly there...

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
All finished, I’ve given it a good shakedown on the turbo and after some micro-adjustments, the indexing is perfect, just need to get it out on the road, with pedals and bottle cages it weighs in at around 8kgs, so not bad for an aluminium framed bike.

It has been my first modern Campagnolo build so it was a learning curve, Campy definitely do it their own way, everything is unique and completely different to Shimano.

So I’ve ended up with a British branded bike with an Italian made frame and groupset.

OP
OP
Gunk

Gunk

Guru
I gave it its first proper ride this afternoon, the front mech just needed a tweak but apart from that it rode beautifully, like a brand new bike.

Top Bottom