Party invites and "Dress" themes rant...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Aperitif said:
That's me Tim - T shirt without paint I call that ;)

:rofl::biggrin:

Speicher

Vice Admiral
gavintc said:
A number of years ago I was invited to dinner at my boss's house. The invite stated 'informal'. Thankfully, I checked - he regarded informal as dinner jacket and bow tie. It was a cracking night watching people arrive in completely the wrong dress and then dash home for a quick change.

I can see that would be very interesting, seeing the men turn up in the wrong "dress", were the women in the wrong "trousers"? :rofl:

I have just returned from a party for someone's 80th Birthday. I thought it might be a teensy bit boring, but it was good fun, good food, plenty of alcohol. It started a four pm, and seemed like it would go on for hours.;)

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I used to work with a bloke who was once invited to a beach party so he put on hiking boots and trousers, a check shirt and baseball hat and carried a baseball bat. When asked the inevitable questions he claimed that he had come as a Canadian baby seal clubber.;)

buggi

Bird Saviour
i love fancy dress.

best one was when i dressed as a sea lion... black all in one catsuit, balaclava with white pipe cleaner whiskas, cardboard fins on my hands and black scuba diving flippers on my feet. had a right laugh trying to walk down the road!

get wiv da beat mowgli !

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
buggi said:
i love fancy dress.

best one was when i dressed as a sea lion... black all in one catsuit, balaclava with white pipe cleaner whiskas, cardboard fins on my hands and black scuba diving flippers on my feet. had a right laugh trying to walk down the road!

get wiv da beat mowgli !
I think a picture might be worth a thousand words here...:biggrin:

People take these fancy dress things too literally...go as something else from the 70s, not just in 70s clothes - perhaps go as a geopolitical event from the time ... my husband and I once went to an 80s fancy dress party as the falklands war. Raised a few eyebrows it did. We made cardboard cutouts of the falkland islands and wore one each, and dressed in military clothes, with loads of fake weapons, and thatcher/galtieri face masks.

Maz

Guru
We had a fancy dress party at school once and the headteacher joined in. He had pinned about 50 ties all over his jacket. He said he'd come as the King of Thailand.

ChrisKH

Guru
milo said:
I went to a fancy dress dressed as a tampax once.

Which reminds me of the joke (probably a Jimmy Nick Nick Davidson one) of the frustrated Chalky who found a lamp, rubbed it and a genie came out who gave him one wish. " I wanna be white, uptight and outasight" said Chalky.
So he turned him into a tampax.

ChrisKH

Guru
Had a Hawaiian themed fancy dress recently. Everyone without exception went in grass skirts and colourful shirts.

I dug out an old black suit, white shirt, pin tie, mirror shades and bought an elvis wig, police badge and a shoulder holster gun and went as Steve McGarrett. Those at the party either got it (and fell on the floor laughing) or didn't - the bewildered look said it all (they were probably too young to remember). This is a relatively cheap version that you could use for the 70's. Substitute afro wig and bisto on the face and you could go as Shaft (unless your skin tone means you can go sans Bisto).

Top Bottom