Party invites and "Dress" themes rant...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Just recieved an invite for aneighbour/friends 40th Birtday party at the bar/function room of the local Athletics club. Fine. Then the invites reads that it's bloody fancy-dress, 70's style. Well whoopy-do. Frankly I can't be arsed to either ferret around the charity shop or go hire something. I'm a 45 y/o miserable bastard who frankly doesnt see the attraction in going out dressed like a prat and hanging-out with other similarly dressed forty somethings. In my youth, fimne, especially the more risque themes, but now? Why?

Recently we were invited to a pals 50th on a river boat, black tie... 2 special trips into Oxford for hire and return of suit, cost of hire, cost of decent prezzie. It was F'in cold on the boat and we nearly froze to death.

In the past I've been dragged along to Masonic Ladies Nights/Charity do's (Father in law, V. big on Masonics) again, hire of suit etc. Would have been better just to send the cost to a charity and stayed at home.

Anybody got any flares... 36" waist, 32" inside leg?

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i'm with you on that, i detest fancy dress.

Noodley

I got an invite to a 40th last weekend. Fancy bloody dress. Movie themes.

I'll be going as the Invisible Man...

I'll be cycling in Yorkshire that weekend. ;):becool:

gavintc

Guru
A couple of weeks ago, we went to a 40th b'day party in a remote Youth Hostel in the Lakes. The theme was cowboy and murder mystery. Carrying the kit 5 miles up the valley was a pain, but the party was great fun. Get into the mode and just enjoy.

Noodley

Cathryn said:
Oooarrr....

Did they have them on pirate ships? I thought they would have sails...;)

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

Noodley said:
I got an invite to a 40th last weekend. Fancy bloody dress. Movie themes.

I'll be going as the Invisible Man...

I'll be cycling in Yorkshire that weekend. ;):becool:

LOL!
New keyboard please!

OP
OP
Fab Foodie

Fab Foodie

gavintc said:
A couple of weeks ago, we went to a 40th b'day party in a remote Youth Hostel in the Lakes. The theme was cowboy and murder mystery. Carrying the kit 5 miles up the valley was a pain, but the party was great fun. Get into the mode and just enjoy.

I'd find it hard to get excited enough about such an invite to drive 5 miles, let alone cycle. I know, I'm a miserable git.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Fancy dress can be fun or a right pita. I have a few items that have been useful in the past. I made some flares for 70's night, have a St Trinian's outfit and a pixie outfit all made out of old stuff from charity shops. I am not sure if I could be bothered if there was another one.

Cheap no nonsense and perfectly contemporary 70's Costume...........

or rather lack of costume...............

A STREAKER!

Top Bottom