Pashley mail star

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi I have purchased what I believe to be a pashley mail star from a retired post man
And all details for drum brakes , the stand the lights the basket etc
He retrieved it from skip before they started cutting the frame etc
He hand painted it black some thing I will try and render
I’m trying to age it but unlike most it has twin bars in the middle , can any one help me age this ??

Attachments

• 0E8280BF-D0BB-4FA4-AB8F-0A76E4247B27.png
    0E8280BF-D0BB-4FA4-AB8F-0A76E4247B27.png
    374.1 KB · Views: 15

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Doesn’t seem to be much on the net regarding dating these bikes. Might be worthwhile contacting Pashley direct but from other comments on here they don’t seem to be very helpful. Any numbers on the frame?

:welcome: To the forum.

OP
OP
J

jester1971

Doesn’t seem to be much on the net regarding dating these bikes. Might be worthwhile contacting Pashley direct but from other comments on here they don’t seem to be very helpful. Any numbers on the frame?

:welcome: To the forum.

I will have a look got all signs ie post office red under black paint , post office lights , post office rear wheel lock built in quite rare item , post office bracket / frame , post office drums and the man I know was post man I brought it from as I’ve seen others he sold also proper stand below but trying to age as the double bar at top any one help out there ??

tyred

Legendary Member
A clearer photo would be good but I think that is a twin top tube version of mine. I think my dates from the early '80s. They are deceptively good to ride.

Does it have Sachs or Sturmey-Archer hubs? Mine are Sachs which I was told dated it to the early to mid' 80s when there were supply issues with SA but I haven't been able to verify that. Mine needed full renovation. It had been dumped on a building site.

tyred

Legendary Member

classic33

Leg End Member
I will have a look got all signs ie post office red under black paint , post office lights , post office rear wheel lock built in quite rare item , post office bracket / frame , post office drums and the man I know was post man I brought it from as I’ve seen others he sold also proper stand below but trying to age as the double bar at top any one help out there ??
Does it have PO/P.O. on the seat tube clamp?
If not, it's doubtful it was a Post Office bike.

Chris S

Legendary Member

A 2022 Sohrab with a double top tube. They've been used for at least a 100 years and still are.
http://sohrab-cycles.com/roadsterdoublebar24_details.php

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The old postie bikes I can remember had a distinctive kink in the top tube, and didn't resemble the OP's photo. It's possible of course that it could be a former postie bike that started life in another country, where double crossbar frames are more popular.
That frame conffiguration has always been extremely rare in the UK, even in the heyday of 3-speed utilty bikes.

classic33

Leg End Member
A clearer photo would be good but I think that is a twin top tube version of mine. I think my dates from the early '80s. They are deceptively good to ride.

Does it have Sachs or Sturmey-Archer hubs? Mine are Sachs which I was told dated it to the early to mid' 80s when there were supply issues with SA but I haven't been able to verify that. Mine needed full renovation. It had been dumped on a building site.
Was yours an An Post bike?
They had a few different suppliers, the Post Office had only Pashley for the last 50 years.

Top Bottom