Pashley mail star

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grldtnr

Ok, as a former Postie bike mech, that looks to me to be a Millennium,rather than a Mailstar, it might be a RM92, but I doubt it, looks like it has Sachs hubs on it, so probably date later than the earlier RM92 bikes which had the larger SA steel hub/ gear drums, the Millennium had either Alloy 70 mm SA drum brakes or the Sachs ones.
If you have Sturmey hubs you can date from the rear hub, via the month year date stamped on the shell, there will be a frame number stamped on it somewhere, begining PO,with 6 fig number,. You might find a double digit number as a bear number, but certainly should find a stamped number somewhere, maybe Pashley will be obliging and give you the approximate year.
Not unusual for double top tube, the RM 92/ Millennium came in 2 sizes, 3 if you count the ladies posty bike, men's were standard & double tubed for taller riders.
You might find on the back wheel an adaptor plate to convert the SA hub equipped bikes to the Sachs, ,if this is so, then it's a later Millennium bike, because of supply issues with Sturmey, when they went under.
I looked after a fleet of 200 postie bikes in our office, so know them quite well, the RM92/Millennium was a revelation after the previous bikes with the old rod pull brakes, the Mailstar, was a step backwards I think much heavier, but did come with the SA 5 speeds, and the awfull Sachs Torpedo gear, I didn't like them they failed a lot due to the little red widget it came with, superseded by the good old SA 3 spd, solid ,dependable,,reliable.
A definitive reply, I think.
Bring back postie's on bikes I say!

classic33

Leg End Member
Going by the name on the top tube, I get a similar bike (single top tube though).

Top of the rear triangle/seat post cluster is similar, as is the front end mount of the load carrying area.

Brakes have been upgraded though.

What size are the wheels on the bike in question. Those mudguards aren't matching the wheel size.

grldtnr

Going by the name on the top tube, I get a similar bike (single top tube though).
View attachment 641053
Top of the rear triangle/seat post cluster is similar, as is the front end mount of the load carrying area.

Brakes have been upgraded though.

What size are the wheels on the bike in question. Those mudguards aren't matching the wheel size.

Looks like a bit of a Frankenstein bike, if it is an ex post bike, then it's a RM92 going by the fork mounted braze on for the reaction arm for the SA steel front drum brake, the rear one would have been a 3 SPD, this would have a band on fixing for the brake.
It isn't clear , but the seat stay lug looks like a bolt through to attach the rear stays to the top tube, not the original handlebars or saddle or ,what's left of it.
Not a post bike I'd say, maybe it was a tradebike from Pashley or even Dawes, some were supplied to the PO.

Top Bottom