Pashley TR1 Folding Trike Electrification???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stearman65

Hi Just wondered if anyone had electrified one of these. Bought one yesterday in standard form. Looking at long term possibility.
upload_2016-8-14_8-16-21.png

Here are a number of options, but the standard for Mission and other makes is a motorised front hub and the battery installed to the reaf frame

OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

Here are a number of options, but the standard for Mission and other makes is a motorised front hub and the battery installed to the reaf frame
As I see it, due to it being a folder, running heavy duty cables from the front wheel to the rear might not be a good idea, also both brakes are on the front wheel? I'm thinking maybe an additional gear on the rear axle, with the motor & battery mounted above, or the motor mounted on the bottom tube as I've seen on some recumbents?
upload_2016-8-14_9-26-35.png
upload_2016-8-14_9-21-56.png

Could be interesting! I reckon you're right about powering the back rather than the front. I've done a pair of conversions, front wheel on two Thorn Raven tourers, and have just ordered two Giant full suss bikes to fit rear conversions.
I've used Cyclotricity kits that have worked really well, might be worth you having a word with them, they have been very helpful.

Oh god, here we go.

You can't fit a front hub motor because (by quirk of Britishness) it has both of its brakes on the front wheel. One of the brakes is in the hub and removing it will render it illegal and dangerous. One brake isn't enough, particularly on something with ePAS. I don't know of a way to fit rear drive to this trike and neither do my mechanics who work on these trikes every day of the week. But I do know that the SunStar mid drive will fit. It's preferable to fit it on the non folding model but it is possible, if care is taken with the cable routing, to fit it to the folder. It's about £1400.

OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

Oh god, here we go.

You can't fit a front hub motor because (by quirk of Britishness) it has both of its brakes on the front wheel. One of the brakes is in the hub and removing it will render it illegal and dangerous. One brake isn't enough, particularly on something with ePAS. I don't know of a way to fit rear drive to this trike and neither do my mechanics who work on these trikes every day of the week. But I do know that the SunStar mid drive will fit. It's preferable to fit it on the non folding model but it is possible, if care is taken with the cable routing, to fit it to the folder. It's about £1400.
Maybe you should do some research? just found this on YouTube.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEFkaCYou6c

Mickle is correct

A Mid Drive may be the answer or alternatively there are front hub drives with hub brakes.

It may be worth researching how the various retail systems get round these

Maybe you should do some research? just found this on YouTube.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEFkaCYou6c

Throttle only? Not legal to sell any more. Maybe you need to do some more research.

Maybe it's just your online manner, but I, and others have spent some time offering the best advice that we can, including the suggestion to sell the lemon and buy a used Pashley Tri 1. I'm not feeling even a tiny bit of gratitude. Goodwill is not in infinite supply.

OP
OP
stearman65

stearman65

Throttle only? Not legal to sell any more. Maybe you need to do some more research.

Maybe it's just your online manner, but I, and others have spent some time offering the best advice that we can, including the suggestion to sell the lemon and buy a used Pashley Tri 1. I'm not feeling even a tiny bit of gratitude. Goodwill is not in infinite supply.
Maybe our sense of humour isn't compatable???:bicycle:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A crank drive kit ought to fit, although there may be some fettling depending on the length of the bottom bracket and the chain line.

The Bafang kit is well thought of, I've ridden a couple fitted to bicycles and they are reasonably smooth and quiet.

Several suppliers, some in China, some in the UK.

Eclipse are in the UK, and also keep other bits and pieces you may need:

http://eclipsebikes.com/bafang-8fun-bbs01-drive-250w-motor-p-1102.html

BMS Battery are in China, but have the kits and more accessories/batteries/controllers than you could shake a bamboo cane at.

https://bmsbattery.com/36-central-motor

Top Bottom