Passable lock?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

UserError

Über Member
Some toe rag has stolen my knackered Trek 4300 from the station. Financial loss is not great, but it's a pain.

When I get a manky replacement bike (sub £50), what kind of lock would deter the sort who just wants a ride home?
Many thanks

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Lock it up , let the tyres down and take the seat with you .......

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
14mm D lock and 12mm braid-of-braids alarmed cable lock to stop silly front wheel thefts. Basically, stuff that's just below those listed on https://www.lfgss.com/conversations/144109/ - anything less and you probably may as well be using a cafe lock, especially in most stations (where thieves can be fairly confident of working unmolested between trains)... but actually you might as well go for the Askalitt / Clas Ohlson 17mm D lock on their list at that price. I may get one if they're still there next time I'm passing :laugh:

vickster

Legendary Member
I've used the above Kryptonite in central London and elsewhere with no issues for significantly more expensive bikes :smile:

jay clock

Massive member
It doesn't look it - the D-lock is only 13mm thick and the cable is only 10mm, plus if they beat the D then the cable comes free. You can do better for the money at the moment.
it is for a fifty quid bike. I have one those and used it on my £200 hybrid for months at Waterloo with no problems. What other suggestions you got?

Tin Pot

Guru
Some toe rag has stolen my knackered Trek 4300 from the station. Financial loss is not great, but it's a pain.

When I get a manky replacement bike (sub £50), what kind of lock would deter the sort who just wants a ride home?
Many thanks

Two locks is the minimum deterrent. For a beater I'd still say take a decent d lock and a cheaper cable lock that's easy to carry.

Yes, they can be compromised but you're only looking at reducing the risk of hassle not protecting the Crown Jewels.

What lock(s) did you have on when it disappeared?

Tin Pot

Guru
It doesn't look it - the D-lock is only 13mm thick and the cable is only 10mm, plus if they beat the D then the cable comes free. You can do better for the money at the moment.

I disagree the width of the dlock being an issue but heartily agree that there is only one lock to compromise here - not two.

Many thanks
Sorry to hear that. Can't help asking - was it obviously "knackered" - any ideas as to why they went for it? How was it locked? Overnight?

I use something similar to that - cost £15 after a hot tip on here - use it with another D lock in central London - no problems so far - nice lock. Since any D lock can be cut with the proper tools in next to no time I have taken to using two middling ones and using a bike in town that doesn't look like much. Actually since I trashed my Dale I don't have any bikes in London that look like owt - they do all run well though. Plenty of other bling bikes for folk to nick.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I've got a full on Magnum Sold Secure Gold D-lock, which in all reality is too big and heavy to lug around everywhere unless I know I'm going somewhere that will warrant the effort.
I've got one of these for everyday use:
http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Abus-Ultra-410-Mini-D-Lock_87447.htm?sku=297206
Sold Secure Silver, small, solidly built and a sensible weight for carrying about - currently on offer at £19.99 (was £29.99).
I supplement it with a Poundland cable lock - don't laugh - it's surprisingly well made for what it is and to an untrained eye looks virtually identical to cable locks sold at Halfords for 4 times the cost. And the prospective thief doesn't know where I bought it from.
At the end of the day even the worlds most expensive cable lock is easy to get around - it's all about putting the toerags off trying first.

(If I'm going somewhere potentially really ropey I'll take both D-locks and the cable lock, but those days are few and far between)