Passable lock?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Three D locks needed. Two for the bike, make yourself comfortable in an inconspicuous position, wait for a thieving toerag to take too much of an interest in your bike, then smack them with the third D lock, hard enough to deter them from ever trying to nick another bike. Sorted.

Hardly sounds legal, i mean the would-be- thief could choke on his own vomit or something

Something in there about an electric bike being stolen. In this case they could have used the tried and tested idea of electrifying the seat, or better yet the whole thing. You would need to remember to disable it, possibly by way of a remote fob. Probably would require carrying a spare battery.

OP
OP
U

UserError

Über Member
The bikes value is neither here nor there. You're either happy to have it stolen, or you're not. Buy the best lock you can regardless of the bikes value.
No one's "happy to have their bike stolen".
All bike locks can be beaten so I'm trying to balance the outlay on lock vs the botheration of having it stolen. Plenty of vids with top notch locks being compromised pretty easily - I had decided on a half devent chain with a £50 abloy padlock then I saw a vid of a guy picking it in seconds...
There may be no point in spending £100 or even £50 if it can be opened with basic tools - cordless grinder & 24" bolt croppers £60 each. lock picking skill only costs time & is silent & inconspicuous.

Reactions: mjr

froze

Über Member
If you are only going to spend less than $60 on a bike I think spending $50 for a lock is a bit silly! So I would go with the $22 lock. IF however you plan on buying a much better bike in the near future then I would recommend buying a really good lock like the Kryptonite Evolution series or the Litelok.

One thing you do need to know about expensive locks that come with "insurance"...the insurance is 99% of the time useless! You have to jump through impossible hoops to get them to pay anything, the only few people who ever got a payout were those that got lawyers! What's so difficult to get a claim paid? First you need to send in the original UPC code and original receipt with the filled out warranty form and registration fee within 15 days of buying the lock; you need a police report taken within 72 hours of the theft, you need to have the original packaging with the original UPC code, and original receipt, which those last two you had to send in to get the insurance started and photocopies are not accepted, so now you don't have those items because they have it?! without that stuff you get nothing; you need to have highly detailed pictures of the crime scene taken at the same time of day the theft was showing the undisturbed lock, and a pic of what the lock was locked to, plus detailed area pics, you need a less than one year old appraisal of bike plus the bike's original sale receipt, and any other insurance papers you may have on it with evidence you notified your insurance company; then send that all in within 7 days of the theft. Of course send it by certified mail. Then the insurance is only good for one year after which you have to extend the warranty for another year by sending in another fee, after that second year is up you are forced to buy another lock and start all over if you want to keep the insurance going. The insurance does not cover damaged caused by attempted theft. When Kryptonite was asked how much in bicycle claims they paid out on average every year their answer was the information was a guarded secret!

Anyway if you are concerned about theft then get renters insurance, of course you will have deductible which may be more than the bike is worth.

classic33

Leg End Member
Fits fine round the frame and a Sheffield stand on the road bikes, but isn't quite deep enough to go through the back wheel as well without just putting tension on the spokes.
Has the advantage that it stands out due to the colour so can't be missed (and it matches the bike!)
Not tried it on the hybrid yet, but think it would be the same.

View attachment 148505
15mm spanner.