Past my allotted time...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I think it's been a bad year for produce generally, and it doesn't help when you do lots of work and get nothing for it!

My sister and family took one on this spring, a half plot, and last time I was down there it was looking promising. I haven't heard how they've got on, but I'm visiting next week, so hopefully I'll get a look.

I took mine on when it was only a few hundred yards away. Then I moved, and the mile or so became the excuse for not going as often, and eventually I had to give up. I always think if a patch is right outside the door, there's more chance of it being tended, because you can do a little every time to pass, instead of making an expedition. NT would like to start a veg patch in his front garden, so we'll see how well I fulfill my own prophecy!

U

User482

I suspect a lot of people will give up veg growing after this year. Our garlic, onions, potatoes, runner beans and peas have all been decimated by the wet soil and slugs. Tomatoes still aren't ripe and the melons were a waste of time. Strawberries, loganberries and apples have been quite successful, but that's about it.

yello

No apples for us this year and yet, for the 1st time in 5 years, our pear trees are going, um, bananas. Masses of plums again. We had 6 plum trees, I lopped 3 down and I'm tempted to loose another 2 - those small mirabelle plums. Not a fan, the dogs like them though - if their craps are anything to go by, full of plum stones. I'd just keep the golden plum tree. The fruit on that are not quite so abundant (so tend not to attract so many wasps and bees) and I prefer them. I don't eat the stones though....

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
No apples for us this year and yet, for the 1st time in 5 years, our pear trees are going, um, bananas. Masses of plums again. We had 6 plum trees, I lopped 3 down and I'm tempted to loose another 2 - those small mirabelle plums. Not a fan, the dogs like them though - if their craps are anything to go by, full of plum stones. I'd just keep the golden plum tree. The fruit on that are not quite so abundant (so tend not to attract so many wasps and bees) and I prefer them. I don't eat the stones though....

Plum wine?

postman

Legendary Member
St Postman dumped his garden allotment a few years back not worth the effort really after a couple of bad years yeild wise,but i now tend my own garden and my next door neighbours as he a little help at the moment.I find it vey satisfying helping out.

We've a few plum trees, self-set, in the garden that appear to be doing well this year from the amount of fruit that is on although it's not ripe yet though and the greengages seem OK as well.
We did have three apple tress but, they were blown over in the high winds last winter; so we have an area which we are thinking of making a small orchard of a few of a few apple trees, a couple of pears and perhaps a couple of plum trees that we’ve selected.
The toms in pots have been very slow only just started going red and although the gooseberries fruited well, something eaten all the green from the leaves leaving just the frame work of the leaf. The red currents and black currents are a disaster this year, no fruit at all.
When we moved in there was an area, 9m x 21m, the previous owners had used for vegetables; but, the rabbits eat almost everything that I've planted in it. The only things they don't eat are courgette and potatoes (and they have a go at those). So we've just started fencing it to keep the rabbits out – a waist high fence wooden fence, with chicken wire attached and buried into the ground.

yello

Wow, how do you make that? .

I've no idea in truth. Probably a 'handed down' process and recipe for it, requiring dead cats and crows' feet and the like.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
We've a few plum trees, self-set, in the garden that appear to be doing well this year from the amount of fruit that is on although it's not ripe yet though and the greengages seem OK as well.
We did have three apple tress but, they were blown over in the high winds last winter; so we have an area which we are thinking of making a small orchard of a few of a few apple trees, a couple of pears and perhaps a couple of plum trees that we’ve selected.
The toms in pots have been very slow only just started going red and although the gooseberries fruited well, something eaten all the green from the leaves leaving just the frame work of the leaf. The red currents and black currents are a disaster this year, no fruit at all.
When we moved in there was an area, 9m x 21m, the previous owners had used for vegetables; but, the rabbits eat almost everything that I've planted in it. The only things they don't eat are courgette and potatoes (and they have a go at those). So we've just started fencing it to keep the rabbits out – a waist high fence wooden fence, with chicken wire attached and buried into the ground.
You could always start selling rabbit meat.

You could always start selling rabbit meat.

I have thought about it.
A friend lived in the country in a house that had an agricultural employment clause on the house deeds. His wife kept rabbits and also trapped the wild ones, she baked rabbit and game pies for restaurants, pubs and wine bars to meet the agricultural clause.
However, I don’t think Mrs ArDee though would be very happy about dispatching the rabbits though, she thinks they're fluffy, cuddly and kissy. OK they do look nice frolicking around the garden; but with everything they eat, even the supposed "rabbit proof" plants I consider that they're the spawn of the Devil.

Sandra6

Veteran
I miss rhubarb. I refuse to pay shop prices for it, but I'm not sure if it would grow in a pot? We only have a yard now.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
We gave up last year as like you Rich it was becoming more of a chore than enjoyment. Instead we have turned half the back garden into a manageable size plot and have had loads off it.

I agree you should move on if you have had enough- but do try to find something new.

We have a big garden with an allotment size patch. Instead of hitting it all at once it was a matter of making a raised bed, getting all the weeds out and then getting a decent crop which took some years. I tend to add a raised bed or something each year.
Never works to rotivate a large jungle area and then not expect all the weeds to pop up.

This year got a greenhouse on ebay cheap and that has given us some more options.

It needs to be pleasure as I really dont think it pays for its time. Food is amazingly cheap most of the time.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I find it helps if you don't have to cultivate every square inch. We were allocated an enormous plot, but it's a pretty informal affair on the edge of the village so I just began with a 20 by 40 foot plot (less than a fith of the total available) and have found that's about managable and keeps us supplied pretty well. It means I've been able to give over some space for someone else to use part of the plot too.

It has been a real battle this year though- spuds/ toms full of blight, everything late etc. But its all coming good now and proving worth the effort, and at least there's been a lot less watering to do. I enjoy it too much to give up, and seeing expensive onions for sale in the shops last week when I've just harvested about 90 of the things is quite rewarding!

There's a whole lot of wildlife down there too - I have a sheet of corrugated iron under which lurks a beautiful grass snake (who chomps on my finger when I pick him up), a family of bank voles and an angry bee with a serious attitude problem who has a right old go every time I move the iron sheet.

Top Bottom