Patch or replace inner tube emergency

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Okeydokey

I have been riding without a replacement tube or repair kit for a while now... I am going out about 15 miles then back and know the inevitable will happen. So, should I in your opinion carry a spare tube or a patch kit.
The reason I ask is that I have used a repair kit, for the first time at home for about thirty years, it was small efficient and incredibly compact. The adhesive on the patch was amazing.
Now I am wondering, tyre levers, gas cannister with nozzle thing and spare tube or patches? I want to put a 'under the saddle', bag on the bike and leave it on, I would like it to be discrete, so small is better.

Spare tube. Co2. Mini pump. Levers. If you want to repair then do so at home.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
At 15 miles from home, you're right to carry something. One tube plus a co2 and a nozzle is good. Practice inflating with co2 before you use it in anger, and then one canister is enough. Don't leave experiments for live punctures.

A mini pump will fit on a little bracket under your bottle cage, so that particular back up is no hassle.

Life's too short to piss about repairing punctures at the side of the road, do it at home.

Sharky

Guru
Depends on conditions night or day etc. But will always try and find the puncture and its location on the wheel to make sure nothing is left in the tyre to cause another puncture. Then if straight forward hole in the tube, will repair and refit, saving the good tube for another time.

Once though it was dark and couldnt see to fix it, so a call home and my daughter brought me a spare wheel from the garage and after a quick wheel change rode home.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I carry a puncture kit AND 2 or 3 tubes. The kit is for emergency use only i.e. all spare tubes have been used up. It is rare for a second tube to be needed but I have had multiple punctures 3 or 4 times since starting cycling again in 1989. I like to have a spare spare to donate in case another cyclist needs one. I have handed out a few over the years.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I carry a puncture kit AND 2 or 3 tubes. The kit is for emergency use only i.e. all spare tubes have been used up. It is rare for a second tube to be needed but I have had multiple punctures 3 or 4 times since starting cycling again in 1989. I like to have a spare spare to donate in case another cyclist needs one. I have handed out a few over the years.
Yup
2 tubes, instant patches, tyre boot, c02 , pump , multi tool , tyre levers.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I have a fear of more than one puncture. One spare tube and a puncture repair kit too. If more than two punctures, I'll phone for the team car. The bikes on its roof rack are absolutely pristine.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
On MTB and CX rides, I carry a couple of spare tubes, pump, levers etc.
On Road rides, similar but CO2 instead of a pump. My road rides are normally not solo rides, so between us we have everything we need.

Top Bottom