Patch or replace inner tube emergency

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I carry two tubes a mini pump and a pack of Scabs, self adhesive patches. Carried the patches for two years and used the first one today. Usually just replace tube and buy a new one at the first bike shop I pass near but today I picked up a drawing pin in the front tyre so knew exactly where the puncture was. Just pulled out that bit of tube and stuck a scab patch on it. Very pleased it has held strong.

iwantanewbike

Über Member
Depends on the ride... If it's a tour down the local disused railway track then I'll happily spend the extra minute or two patching it there and then. My do everything bike has about six patches on the rear but I still carry a new inner tube for extreme cases. I'd rather patch on the ride as I'll always forget to do the job when I get back - at one stage I had about ten broken tubes lying about and ended up just throwing them out. If it's a group ride then I'll do my best not to hold everyone up so it's straight onto the new inner tube.

freiston

Veteran
I carry a tube, a pump and a small repair kit (including levers). I was given some Lezyne self adhesive patches as a birthday gift, so for shorter (but too long to walk home) rides, I might take them instead of the repair kit.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Spare tube, self-sticky patches, tyre levers and a Co2 thingy for when it's slinging it down and I can't be fagged to use my pump. If I use a sticky patch, I do a proper repair when I get home.

Buck

Guru
For the space they take I have two (sometimes three) tubes plus levers, mini tool and also a pack of self-adhesive patches for added security.

Came into its own when my cycling friend had 3 punctures in one ride!

si_c

Guru
My small saddlebag contains 2 inner tubes, 2 gas cannisters, 2 park tool tyre levers, multitool ( with tyre levers ), gas inflator, park tool instant patches, and some zip ties.

On my frame I have a mini pump attached to the seat tube. Both stay attached to the bike at all times.

I repair punctures when at home, but on a longer ride I may carry a full patch kit as well as the instant ones.

Alan O

Über Member
I just carry a spare bike in my bag (and the spare bike has a bag that's big enough to carry the original bike home :tongue:)

But seriously, a repair kit, modern mini-pump, spare tube - takes less space than my sausage butties.

OP
OP
Okeydokey

Okeydokey

You take sausage butties? I may need to get a trailer
Seriously, I haven't progressed to a cycling jersey yet so what I take is mostly tucked up the cheeks, and down my socks... that's a lie actually I don't wear socks.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Patch kit unless in a hurry or weather is carp. Spare tube only in case of valve failure or other irreparable damage because Murphy requires you will have TWO sharp objects in the tyre if you find one and replace the tube frivolously (yes, it happened to me last winter in the cold rain... my first motorised rescue for over ten years).

Last edited:
Spare tube, not all damaged tubes are repairable, indeed none of mine seem to be, either big holes or damaged valves
+1 copped for a gash in the rear tyre on Sunday, had to cut the punctured tube up to make a boot which was fair bulging by the time i got home.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
2 tubes, pump, levers, park instant patches. It's a proper frame fit pump, so no gas.
A pump of some sort is necessary to find where the hole in the tube is, and hence where in the tyre the sharp is. I save up the tubes and repair a big batch all together. That way you don't get the glue hanging around and going off.
If you use gas, remember to let down the tyre and reinflate with a track pump when you get home. CO2 leaks out much faster than air.

With the caveat to not be a knobhead and discard the CO2 canister by the road
Sick of the sight of them littering all over the place these days
The ones you see all over the place are laughing gas (N2O), officially used for whipped cream dispensers, but the ones you see will be for sniffing

Being a "belt and braces" sort of a bloke, I always carry a spare tube, and some stick on patches. If there is just one small repair needed - say caused by a drawing pin or similar - I will normally attempt a patch fix. Unless the weather is rubbish and I just want to get moving again, in which case use the new tube and then repair the other one at home.

If the tube is more comprehensively damaged, then go straight to Plan B and put the new tube in and junk the old one.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I carry a couple of tubes and a puncture kit, co2 canister and a mini pump. It's alright trying to repair a puncture on a nice day, try doing it when it is raining!

Top Bottom