Pavement parking and children cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Hebe

Hebe

getting better all the time
That's atrocious!
We had another pavement parker this morning. The driver was still in the car, so I did have the satisfaction of watching his face twitch nervously at the sight of a 4 year old furiously pedalling between him and the wall, stabilisers bobbing up and down. Less satisfying was the woman who stopped across the toucan crossing in a line of traffic. I know I should be setting a good example to my daughter, but I may have made a gesture as she accelerated off through the red light rather than waiting to let us cross.

Alun

Guru
"Whilst there is no blanket prohibition on parking on verges, a particular incident of verge parking may be considered dangerous or obstructive or cause damage and may constitute a criminal offence under one or other of the following statutory provisions: -
  • Section 28 Town Police Clauses Act 1847 - wilfully causing an obstruction to any public footpath or public thoroughfare.
  • Regulation 103 Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 - vehicles causing unnecessary obstruction of the road (including verge).
  • Section 22 Road Traffic Act 1988 - leaving vehicles in a dangerous position on the road (including verge).
  • Section 137 Highways Act 1980 wilful obstruction of the free passage along a highway.
  • Section 72 Highways Act 1835 - driving on any footpath or causeway by the side of any road made or set apart for the use or accommodation of foot passengers.
  • Section 131(1)(c) Highways Act 1980 - deposits anything whatsoever on a highway so it would damage the highway
Allegations concerning any of the above possible offences would be a matter for the police to investigate and enforce, rather than the traffic authority."
I have copied this from a Bucks CC website, I think it shows the legal position quite well. It also states that it is the polices responsibility to deal with the matter, actually getting them to take action may be more difficult due to a lack of resources.

atbman

Veteran
Told one bloke near me who left only about a 12" gap, that I was of a nervous disposition and was afraid to walk in the road. So nervous, in fact that I was even prepared to climb over obstacles in my big boots rather than do so.

And this was what I would do on my return from the local shop about 100 yds up the road, even if the obstacle was a shiny, brand new, BMW convertible. He's never parked there since. Not sure if the manic, fixed grin and the plentiful spraying of saliva as I talked, contributed to his increased concern for others.

Doesn't matter what the laws say, none of them are being enforced now anyway.

Drove back from my girlfriend's house friday. Was followed by a female driving instructor who broke the speed limit until she got to me, and nattered away on her handheld mobile all the time.
I'm now starting to see increasing numbers of people not wearing set belts.
My Mother's neighbour has five cars, all of which are pavement parked, usually across the driveways of other neighbours.

It's only going to get worse, but don't worry, our police forces are saving money.

Lately I've been looking at a new build estate to move to. I've come to two conclusions: Firstly they're a rip-off, and secondly many of the houses are built with no parking provision at all, or parking space as a perk, and that plus garden space being traded off to just fit more houses on the available land.
Yes, it's up to the buyers to decide if they're going to own a car if they move there, but the majority just believe it'll be sorted if they just dump the thing in the road.
The result looks like a random open car park, with every inch covered in metal and the kids playing in between.

The nice sales lady told me it was weekend visitors causing the clutter. Funnily enough all those visitors were still there the following thursday evening.

Top Bottom