Pavement rules for cyclists answers needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

m6mal

where's me bike
in kettering we have some signs rectangular blue with a white cycle on and also round blue signs with a cycle and mother and child. i only got my trike today and would like someone to enlighten me on whether i can use the pavement with these signs in place, also i saw both these signs round and rectangular side by side, so i am kerfuffled

macky

And you’ve just kerfuffled me:ohmy:

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Here's a nice graphic of cycling signs from the Highway Code. Does it help?

Cyclingsignsandmarkings.jpg

Your "mother and child" one is indicating a shared cycle-path.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Where pedestrians have priority over cyclists on either side of the dividing line :smile:

In my experience the dividing line encourages pedestrains to walk along it, so it's never easy to know which side to pass them on :smile:

Tim Hall

In my experience the dividing line encourages pedestrains to walk along it, so it's never easy to know which side to pass them on :smile:
QUOTE="vickster, post: 5103950, member: 10217"]That's why slowing right down with a friendly hello or a ting ting helps[/QUOTE]
Add to that that the white line is to tell cyclists which side they should be on. The pedestrians are free, by law, to use the whole width of the path.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Yes, only the cyclist is proscribed by law, but I think the signs are a suggestion to pedestrians. They are not required to follow it, but it makes things easier if they follow it when they can.
It also makes things easier if cyclists slow the fark down on shared use paths and stopped acting like they own said path "you're in the cycle lane" as beloved of B'ton sea front nobbers. "fark off" as beloved of me.

Top Bottom