Pavement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Considerate pavement cycling is some bulls*** that only exists in your head. There is no such thing!

Is it?

My 5 year old daughter cycles the mile to school. I also cycle with her around and about. What should I do? Let her cycle on the road?

snorri

Legendary Member
What evidence do you want? I dunno....parents and pushchairs on the pavement, old people, disabled people, small children, people leaving shops or their houses. These are all groups of society that you wouldn't normally find walking in the road; that's why they use the pavement, where they can go about their business confident in the fact that they probably won't get run over....unless they're in your town of course!
It appears you have led a sheltered life and cannot visualise pavements without adjacent shops and houses, also devoid of pedestrian traffic for long periods of the day and even longer periods of the night.:smile:

Kookas

Über Member
I use the pavement for very short stretches on one particular route of mine past Queen Elizabeth Hospital after coming through the University, where there's no accompanying road. When doing so, I slow right down; a mobility scooter is more dangerous.

Get fitter so you can beast mode it up the hill on the road and not worry about the traffic behind you.

Use your judgment I'd say. If it is a busy, fast road with few houses and would be appropriate for share use just not marked, then perhaps it might be acceptable for a short distance. You might be safer on the road than you really think though.

Regarding pavement cycling in general, yes it does piss me off when people do it when I am walking, especially ninja cyclists and ones who ring their bell at me expecting me to jump out the way. The fact is pedestrians aren't as focused on the act of travelling as motorists and cyclists. Pedestrians are on their phones, texting, carrying shopping, daydreaming, young and old, some much slower than others, jogging, pushing prams, on scooters. They aren't in the same mindset as road users, they don't do shoulder checks or walk in predictable lines. It's not a place to be cycling in general, and that's even before you weigh up the potential of drivers reversing out of their drives not expecting you to come whizzing past where they can't see you.

RedRider

Pulling through
But pavement cycling is dangerous!
Is it the cracks between the slabs? Bring terrible bad luck so I hear.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
I use the pavement for very short stretches on one particular route of mine past Queen Elizabeth Hospital after coming through the University, where there's no accompanying road. When doing so, I slow right down; a mobility scooter is more dangerous.
Push your bike! People in mobility scooters have trouble walking.

Top Bottom