Pavement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sara_H

Guru
There are one or two places I apply a sensible use of the Boeteng Guidance in a variety of different circumstances. It isn't ideal, but then generally speaking, neither is the infrastructure available to cyclists

99% of the times you see a cyclist on a pavement, you're looking at an individual who has been let down by those responsible for the provision of safe transport infrastructure.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I feel sorry for the OP.... such a silly can of worms and a silly immovable object.... :stop: Roadrider knows he's right, in spite of the fact he's not.

To the OP... do what you feel is safest for you and those around you. :thumbsup:

To the Shouty immovable object... :troll:

400bhp

Guru
I'm not saying put small children in the road. And you know that.
But pavement cycling is dangerous!

Well, I kind of guessed you knew that but I couldn't be sure.

So, somewhere in your head, you've made a distinction between what is a safe pavement cyclist and what is a dangerous pavement cyclist. Care to define the tipping point?

For example, could the father who is pavement cycling with daughter be a step too far? Or the paperboy, or the granny ambling to the shops on her bike?

It's a shame we (you) think in these terms when if you look around, there aren't many people on the pavement walking outside town and city centres. This is largely to do with the perceived ease of car use and the antisocial manner that cars are driven. It certainly isn't a lot to do with some bimbling pavement cyclist. Would you agree?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

So, somewhere in your head, you've made a distinction between what is a safe pavement cyclist and what is a dangerous pavement cyclist. Care to define the tipping point?

For example, could the father who is pavement cycling with daughter be a step too far? Or the paperboy, or the granny ambling to the shops on her bike?

It's a shame we (you) think in these terms when if you look around, there aren't many people on the pavement walking outside town and city centres. This is largely to do with the perceived ease of car use and the antisocial manner that cars are driven. It certainly isn't a lot to do with some bimbling pavement cyclist. Would you agree?
My paperboy delivers using a longboard. Bikes are so last century. Oh yeah, and he is a gurl. And she doesn't deliver to us. We collect. But you catch my drift.

I'd rather see a pavement cyclist than see the same person driving a car on a local journey. Most of all I'd rather the speed and volume of traffic on local roads didn't intimidate people to such a degree that the only way they feel they can compete on equal terms is inside a tin box.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
A
[QUOTE 2950221, member: 45"]Seeing as you've not provided anything to support your claim I think the answer is yes.[/quote]
e you

The tipping point is that there is no such thing as a safe pavement cyclist. You three are just talking bollocks, as usual. But carry on, you seem to enjoy it?

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
I feel sorry for the OP.... such a silly can of worms and a silly immovable object.... :stop: Roadrider knows he's right, in spite of the fact he's not.

To the OP... do what you feel is safest for you and those around you. :thumbsup:

To the Shouty immovable object... :troll:
Is someone in a shouty mood again?

OP
OP
H

harveymt

I'll ride the short stretch of pavement. I drove it this morning and most car drivers don't know how to handle it and jostle for position. I presume if I'm on the bike I'll be way down the list of what they're watching out for.

I was talking to a friend about it and apparently the junction has been due an upgrade for some time. Land adjacent to it has been purchased to allow it to get bigger so I guess a letter to Roads Service and local councillors would at least find out the stage it's at and provision being made for cyclists.

A

e you

The tipping point is that there is no such thing as a safe pavement cyclist.

mark1970.jpg

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Is someone in a shouty mood again?
not me sir... only two posts in this thread*... can't be bothered to count all yours :shy:

*excluding this one of course

400bhp

Guru
The tipping point is that there is no such thing as a safe pavement cyclist. You three are just talking bollocks, as usual. But carry on, you seem to enjoy it?

But you said that a 5 year old was ok to cycle on the pavement. Make up your mind.

Top Bottom