Pavement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

400bhp

Guru
Ha ha ha! Do you all live together?

Last chance fella...is it right or wrong for a child to be cycling on the pavement? If it's OK, where do YOU draw the line?

If you can't answer that then we're done.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Last chance fella...is it right or wrong for a child to be cycling on the pavement? If it's OK, where do YOU draw the line?

If you can't answer that then we're done.
I was done with you occasionals ages ago. But for some reason you won't let it go. Keeping on with these stupid comments.
Pavement cycling is dangerous and is a bad practice, why you keep on about children I don't know.
Now if you'll excuse me, I've just got a new bike today and I would like to prepare it for tomorrow.
Thankyou for your repetitive questions, but they bore me now....nighty night.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I was done with you occasionals ages ago. But for some reason you won't let it go. Keeping on with these stupid comments.
Pavement cycling is dangerous and is a bad practice, why you keep on about children I don't know.
Now if you'll excuse me, I've just got a new bike today and I would like to prepare it for tomorrow.
Thankyou for your repetitive questions, but they bore me now....nighty night.

A flouncette! Call @Smeggers II!

AndyPeace

I tried to read through the thread but can't quite make out what the point is. Are people now campaigning to ban cycles from shared paths? All this talk of how dangerous cycling is on a pavement, yet I've only found one story of a fatality caused by a wreckless cyclist called Darren Hall, who was cycling at high speed on a pavement round a blind corner which he did to avoid a red light. Tragic as that is, the comparable figure that year of people killed on the pavement by motor vehichles , in the same year as that incident was 54. This was 2009 anyone got any more recent figures?

Last edited:
No, but I recall an interesting fact that you're more likely to be killed by a police car on the pavement than a cyclist.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I don't generally like pavement cycling, but it's not necessarily particularly dangerous.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
there's certain roads around these part which i've always used the pavements instead of the road... I knew i was breaking the highway code, but my safety is paramount... yes i could have pushed my bike along those pavements, but what's the point of that? The roads are full of fast moving HGVs, the pavement alongside is wide enough to ride.
These days all those pavements are shared use paths, so i was right all along ^_^

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
there's certain roads around these part which i've always used the pavements instead of the road... I knew i was breaking the highway code, but my safety is paramount... yes i could have pushed my bike along those pavements, but what's the point of that? The roads are full of fast moving HGVs, the pavement alongside is wide enough to ride.
These days all those pavements are shared use paths, so i was right all along ^_^
By your own admission, you three don't ride very much atall. So it's probably a confidence thing....I kind of get that, not being confident on the road.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I'm with MontyVeda (though being in the USA, cycling on the pavement can often be legal -depends on the town bylaws).

I'd rather be safe -and if it means I can cycle on a pavement with no consequences to other pavement users, I'm OK with that. When I do, I most certainly give pedestrians precedence, and will stop if there is not enough space to pass by safely. A long time ago I realized my personal safety is my responsibility if motor vehicle driving is inadequately policed, restrained or bad driving has little to no consequences (or if there is bad road design).

Back to present: different country admittedly, but I know I've cycled on pavement in a local town that doesn't legally allow it and have gone by a police cruisers quite a few times -they've never given me a moment's thought. I'd think you'd have to be deliberately obnoxious before they'd do something. Back in my previous job, I often commuted on stretch of pavement on a very busy dual carriageway. Had I not done so, I'd have been cycling in the road with fast moving traffic, with the need to cross over the road. Cycling on the pavement was a no brainer for my safety -and while I could have walked the half mile or so with my bike, since I only ever saw 2-3 people on the pavement in my entire time I commuted that route, I certainly don't think it was a terrible thing to do.

It would be interesting to know if anyone have been stopped recently by the police for cycling on the pavement, assuming it was the only thing they were doing that could have caused the police to stop them?

Top Bottom