Pavement

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Colin B

Can someone answer me a question because I'm kind of confused . Cycle paths can they be used by pedestrians I mean I know they have right of way say if they were crossing already in a street I'd drove into by do they have right of way if walking down a cycle path ? Genuine question because I don't remember these paths as a kid

snorri

Legendary Member
Can someone answer me a question because I'm kind of confused . Cycle paths can they be used by pedestrians I mean I know they have right of way say if they were crossing already in a street I'd drove into by do they have right of way if walking down a cycle path ? Genuine question because I don't remember these paths as a kid
I hope this helps a bit.
There are few dedicated cycle paths (cycling only) in the UK, the majority of paths available to cyclists are shared with pedestrians and are known as 'joint user paths'. Unfortunately there is no Rule of the Road on these paths and many cyclists and pedestrians walk or cycle on either side or even in the middle of the path. More experienced cyclists tend to cycle on the left, as they would on the road.
The pedestrian has priority, the onus is on the cyclist to avoid the pedestrians wherever they are walking on the path. This is why joint user paths tend to be disliked by many cyclists as they have to take care to avoid pedestrians who may move in a random manner at times. Dog walkers also present a hazard to cyclists on joint user paths as it is not unknown for the owner o be on one side of path, dog on opposite side and with a lead stretched across the path between the two.
See here for cycle route signs, joint user etc.
.http://www.sustrans.org.uk/change-your-travel/get-cycling/cycling-signs-and-road-markings

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I don't ride on the pavement. I don't jump red lights either.

Have I got the wrong attitude?
Nope. A great attitude.

But the question is do we think five*-year-olds** should not ride on the pavement?

*other random numbers are available. What is the age of consent for getting squished by motor vehicles?

**or anyone else who finds the speed and volume of traffic in a particular location on their journey utterly intimidating...

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Nope. A great attitude.

But the question is do we think five*-year-olds** should not ride on the pavement?

*other random numbers are available. What is the age of consent for getting squished by motor vehicles?

**or anyone else who finds the speed and volume of traffic in a particular location on their journey utterly intimidating...
I don't think anybody would object to children riding on the pavement. BTW, I don't particularly like driving round Elephant and Castle. It doesn't mean that I drive round it on the pavement.

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Anyway, just you wait until you are doing a bit of your pavement cycling and you hit a kid or an old person.
Mind you, it probably won't bother you because you think you're right and you have no conscience.

where do you stand on shared use paths? or to put it another way, where do you cycle on shared use paths?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I don't think anybody would object to children riding on the pavement. BTW, I don't particularly like driving round Elephant and Castle. I doesn't mean that I drive round it on the pavement.

As far as I am aware the Home Office has never advised ACPO not to prosecute drivers who drive their cars on the pavement.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Nope. A great attitude.

No! The question is about not riding on the pavement, not about small children. You've turned it around on children because you have no other answer.

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
[QUOTE 2952894, member: 45"]Considerate cyclists don't do this. Unless you have evidence to suggest otherwise...[/quote]
If you're cycling on the pavement and you hit someone by accident because they move in your path or whatever; how the hell can being "considerate" accommodate for that?

martint235

Dog on a bike
Well that was a fun 6 pages. Just to way in with a tuppence (cos I'm bored)

• I don't ride on shared use paths. I don't like them. I find pedestrians are way harder to predict than cars. That's my personal view but I see the point of shared use paths.
  • I'm a bit of a stickler for the rules. RLJ near me and I'll tell you pretty much what I think of you. Yes you can reciprocate but the chances are I'm bigger than you. However if ACPO have decided that in the interests of road safety they will allow people to use their bikes on the pavement in a considerate way, that's good enough for me. Because of my first point, you're unlikely to find me there.
  • Iirc priority (which is what is actually being referred to by "right of way" which doesn't exist) always belongs to the pedestrian.
  • to tell people like BHP400 and GrumpyGreg that they are occasional cyclists who may be nervous around traffic is just funny.

martint235

Dog on a bike
And why is it not very good? It works in all the other scenarios :jogging; walking quickly; mobility scooters ; pram pushing etc. I admit those of limited intelligence may struggle to grasp the concept but hey ho

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
[QUOTE 2954428, member: 45"]Considerate cyclists don't put themselves in that situation. If they did you'd have evidence of the collisions...[/quote]
Sorry I forgot. Considerates can see around corners and read peoples minds as to which way they will go.

Top Bottom