Pay package for tour domestiques

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

novetan

Über Member
Do the pay package equally divided amongst all the domestiques and their team leader in the Tour? And also sharing the winner's cheque?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
No, each rider has their own contract. Team winnings are share differently too, some riders get no share, but may get gifts from the winning team member.

Buck

Guru
Whilst each rider has their own individual contract, I was told (not sure of its provenance) that the prizes awarded are often given by the winners i.e. Pogacar to his fellow team members and support crew and the winner makes his money from his contract and sponsorship.

I think the tour win will be worth around half a million so that is a reasonable amount to share out if it's true!

OP
OP
N

novetan

Über Member
500,000 to share amongst the rest of 7 riders and crews is really pathetic. Imagine those 2nd prize and below

It might even blow your mind to find out that some riders are totally unpaid and in some cases even pay their own expenses. Cycling is not a career to make a lot of money for almost all riders.
Not at pro tour level surely ?
I know it happen in motor sport but never heard of it in cycling.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Not at pro tour level surely ?
I know it happen in motor sport but never heard of it in cycling.
Yup, even at World Tour level the stagiaires only get 43 euro a day ‘allowance’ https://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/6611/towards-fair-pay-for-stagiaires

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Gosh. And getting the risk of broken collar bones, not forgetting the sufferings. Is it really worth it. I'd hv thought once u get into the main Tour (not the secondary ones), be it golf or whatever, there must be some decent attractive prize money to grab.
If you win it then yes, 500k, but the money drops off pretty darn quickly. For the TdF they are lucky and the top 160 get at least €1000. If you are luckily enough to turn yourself inside out in a breakaway and come in 15th for a stage, you get a massive €300 bonus.

mustang1

Guru
Well in all fairness, they do spend a lot of time just having a chat. It's not the most exciting thing to watch so I only watch the highlights and even that seems to be boring for me, and I like cycling. If I watch highlights of other sports, its far more interesting.

Criterium racing and those red bull down "time trials" are far more interesting.

Top Bottom