PC fettling and repairs thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
And my iMac's former occasional blackscreen issue which had gone away after my changing the HDD to SSD and giving it a good clean is back, too.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Sunspots, it must be sunspots...
Took the precaution of ordering a new SSD for it anyhow, as this one, an OCZ Vertex 4, is getting a bit long in the tooth.
The old girl's a bit long in the tooth, and they (Intel chips) do run very hot in this application, so I suspect it's heat-related.

If it keeps on doing it I'll load some fan control software and crank the fans up to max and see if it makes a difference (albeit it still has a fan control sensor, fitted by the firm who replaced the HDD the first time, so it should be responding to increasing heat itself)

The old girl's a bit long in the tooth, and they (Intel chips) do run very hot in this application, so I suspect it's heat-related.

If it keeps on doing it I'll load some fan control software and crank the fans up to max and see if it makes a difference (albeit it still has a fan control sensor, fitted by the firm who replaced the HDD the first time, so it should be responding to increasing heat itself)
I use Macs Fan Control on the Mac Pro, works well.

Whilst I'm rambling, this is used as a second computer for light duties only. Would a little Chromebook (something like this https://www.hp.com/gb-en/shop/Product.aspx?id=5SX33EA&opt=ABU&sel=NTB) work for browsing, video, and WP-type stuff?

I'm always a bit concerned when I see the specs because it's closer to a phone than a computer, but then I read that because Chrome it'll be fine - what say you?
Fine if you're happy to have all your stuff in the cloud, otherwise a bit under-specced!

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I use Macs Fan Control on the Mac Pro, works well.

Fine if you're happy to have all your stuff in the cloud, otherwise a bit under-specced!

I thought that was the point v-a-v Chromebooks, I guess I'm just wondering how practical that is, or whether and external SSD would be needed? In any event we'd be hooking it up to a larger screen in the home, so it's not going to be taxed overmuch, but may also be useful when daughter starts secondary school in 9 months or so.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A friend is very happy with her Chromebook and @Blue Hills is with his, for those kind of uses.

My nephew wasn't pleased with his but he probably wanted to play demanding games on it, which was never going to work!

A friend is very happy with her Chromebook and @Blue Hills is with his, for those kind of uses.

My nephew wasn't pleased with his but he probably wanted to play demanding games on it, which was never going to work!
tis true - don't know if you know but I recently bought another chromebook.
£170.
It will get security updates until June 2028 and I am hopeful that it will do the full run.
It does everything I need - yep - no games.
You can do a fair amount of stuff offline.
They do have a fair amount of onboard storage and you can always shove a pendrive in.
In truth I like the fact that so much is on the cloud with the clever syncing and back-up - I was never very good at doing that and have lost lots of stuff in the past with other platforms.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
tis true - don't know if you know but I recently bought another chromebook.
£170.
It will get security updates until June 2028 and I am hopeful that it will do the full run.
It does everything I need - yep - no games.
You can do a fair amount of stuff offline.
They do have a fair amount of onboard storage and you can always shove a pendrive in.
In truth I like the fact that so much is on the cloud with the clever syncing and back-up - I was never very good at doing that and have lost lots of stuff in the past with other platforms.
I admit, even as a Linux user, i use Chrome. I did use Firefox but i had issues with it. But i do use Google Drive, syncing and a few tools. I can understand the appeal of a Chromebook, as it does suit most tasks, most people do with their PC's...

I admit, even as a Linux user, i use Chrome. I did use Firefox but i had issues with it. But i do use Google Drive, syncing and a few tools. I can understand the appeal of a Chromebook, as it does suit most tasks, most people do with their PC's...
Aren't chromebooks based on Linux?
I thnk you can run native linux if you are techie enough.

I switched to chromebooks after a windows laptop's life was cut short for no good reason - it was to do with an operating system update.
I once for the hell of it in a spoons wiped a chromebook and then resynced all the stuff to it/reinstalled all the updates.
I'd like to see someone do that with anything running on windows. :smile:

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Aren't chromebooks based on Linux?
I thnk you can run native linux if you are techie enough.

Yes it is, Based on the "gentoo" Linux distro, heavily google layered of course and consigned to its Ecosystem, but you can install another Linux distro on it, if you so wished.

I switched to chromebooks after a windows laptop's life was cut short for no good reason - it was to do with an operating system update.
I once for the hell of it in a spoons wiped a chromebook and then resynced all the stuff to it/reinstalled all the updates.
I'd like to see someone do that with anything running on windows.

That is certainly an area where the Chromebook Excels. It's ideal for Students also for that reason.

midlife

Guru
Agreed to upgrade pc and get more RAM and a better graphics card for son's Xmas prezzie.

The RAM price made my nose bleed but only a prelude to trying to get a higher end graphics card. No stock in most places, some said had stock on website but after contact said no physical stock.

Mad pricing but managed to get one but way over RRP!

Anybody else had problems trying to get stuff?

Top Bottom