PC fettling and repairs thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thanks for the warm Chromebooks words all, that's encouraging :smile:
any questions on them, just fire away.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Agreed to upgrade pc and get more RAM and a better graphics card for son's Xmas prezzie.

The RAM price made my nose bleed but only a prelude to trying to get a higher end graphics card. No stock in most places, some said had stock on website but after contact said no physical stock.

Mad pricing but managed to get one but way over RRP!

Anybody else had problems trying to get stuff?
GPUs have been at £££££ pricing for ages- before the pandemic it was crypto. I paid £283 for my RX 580 back in October 2017. I could sell it for that price or anything up to £350 ish (not that I will). AMD and Nvidia aren't helping much with the way they keep gouging buyers at the moment.

StuAff

As I'm here, two (peripheral) upgrades. After the second of my Creative Inspire 5700 speaker sets (now offered here) broke down a few months back, I have been back using my old Logitech LS21 2.1 system, and missing the joy that is a decent 5.1 rig, it was hard going back to stereo and analogue connection. Not anymore. Didn't want to risk second-hand again, for some reason (!) so got a Logitech Z906 package- Overclockers had one in stock, as as good a price as it gets at the moment, so I bought it. Excellent sound, looks and feels well-built. Also bought a mains-powered air duster (this one, but I got mine from OC as well, at slightly higher price as this offer wasn't available, gits). Having killed a Mac Pro with misuse of canned air (liquid/vapour burnt something out) I thought it was money well spent. Used it for the first time this morning, it blows :smile: 18 months' worth of dust bunnies slaughtered. A massive improvement on cans in terms of power, and no risk of liquid damage.

midlife

Guru
GPUs have been at £££££ pricing for ages- before the pandemic it was crypto. I paid £283 for my RX 580 back in October 2017. I could sell it for that price or anything up to £350 ish (not that I will). AMD and Nvidia aren't helping much with the way they keep gouging buyers at the moment.

Zotac card cost me £2.4k!

StuAff

Having spend almost 30 repairing medical equipment, where (in the early days) we used compressed air to blow out dust it is something I have not done at work or home for nearly two decades.

That was after the infection control team stepped in and pointed out the hazards of inhaling dust. I now vacuum machines instead.
Good point, but the problem with vacuuming in the case is the risk of static discharge that can destroy components. Vaccuming up dust when the case is closed (eg from front/rear fans) is fine, of course. Best thing is to clean in a well-ventilated area, and use a vacuum (well away from anything sensitive) to deal with the resulting clouds.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Good point, but the problem with vacuuming in the case is the risk of static discharge that can destroy components. Vaccuming up dust when the case is closed (eg from front/rear fans) is fine, of course. Best thing is to clean in a well-ventilated area, and use a vacuum (well away from anything sensitive) to deal with the resulting clouds.
I took the iMac outside and used a cold hairdryer on max to blow the human skin, sorry dust out.

SydZ

Über Member
I’ve vacuumed out and inside of electronic equipment for many years without issue. It’s all down to having the right equipment. Vacuums are available with anti-static nozzles.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Hmmm, so I have hooked up a second screen to the errant iMac on the assumption that it would display, even if the main screen was off (as I've done before), but it's really odd. It displays, but it's not in focus, nor are all the icons visible. Any thoughts anyone? I'm a gnat's nadger away from upgiving and cutting my losses, unless someone has an aha moment?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hmmm, so I have hooked up a second screen to the errant iMac on the assumption that it would display, even if the main screen was off (as I've done before), but it's really odd. It displays, but it's not in focus, nor are all the icons visible. Any thoughts anyone? I'm a gnat's nadger away from upgiving and cutting my losses, unless someone has an aha moment?
Is THIS any help?

Top Bottom