PC fettling and repairs thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That shot shows Windows 7🧐

He did say "ended up"...
Edit: beaten to it...

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
I haven't done many repairs lately, most recently I replaced the battery in my own Macbook Pro and I did a battery and display on a customers Macbook Air.

I have a new Dell PC to setup for another customer this week, but not exactly fettling. More just plug and play...

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Not strictly a PC (well not a PC at all), but I recently replaced for the second time the battery in my trusty old Lenovo Yoga tablet.

It struck me as a somewhat hairy (and undocumented) procedure first time around but this time it seemed pretty straightforward. Thank goodnes for YouTube: Замена аккумулятора на планшете Lenovo B8000. Replacing the battery on the tablet. - YouTube

Having done the battery change, it still refused to boot or charge and I couldn't even do a factory reset from the recovery menu - ended up having to reflash it. Seems to be running fine now, touch wood.

It's the 3.5mm audio sockets on mine (in fact, every PC I've had)... they're OK to begin with, but after a couple of years... one slight knock of the plug and hey presto, one channel cuts out and needs a wiggle to get it back. What do they make them out of? tin foil?
I always used an extender lead so the PC end was only used infrequently with the repeated unplugging on the replaceable lead, worked fine until the headset plug failed :ohmy:.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I always used an extender lead so the PC end was only used infrequently with the repeated unplugging on the replaceable lead, worked fine until the headset plug failed :ohmy:.
that's the thing... my leads are permanently hooked up but the sockets on the PC are so shoddy they still lose contact after a while. Never had the same issue with my laptop.

XPS finished.

The display is stunning. Full Hd with RGB LED backlight, so pretty much as close to colour perfection as you could then get, and pretty damned good by today's standards too. Working keyboard and a Blu-Ray drive, it's a nice machine!
Now back to Windows and see what that looks like.
EDIT: and a nice big 9-cell battery that gives a pleasant tilt to the machine.

Last edited:

keithmac

Guru
Worth bearing in mind most PC's over 5 years old won't run Windows 11.

I'm just hanging all ours out for now, Windows 10 has a 5 year price on it's head, might as well just buy a W11 PC built for W11 when the time comes.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Worth bearing in mind most PC's over 5 years old won't run Windows 11.

I'm just hanging all ours out for now, Windows 10 has a 5 year price on it's head, might as well just buy a W11 PC built for W11 when the time comes.
Or run an easy to use Linux Distro like Ubuntu, Mint or POPOS :whistle:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
W11 - Minimum system requirements
Processor1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster with 2 or more cores on a compatible 64-bit processor or System on a Chip (SoC)
Memory4 GB RAM
Storage64 GB or larger storage device
System firmwareUEFI, Secure Boot capable
TPMTrusted Platform Module (TPM) version 2.0
Minimum system requirements
Graphics cardDirectX 12 compatible graphics / WDDM 2.x
Display> 9" with HD Resolution (720p)
Internet connectionMicrosoft account and internet connectivity required for setup for Windows 11 Home

Top Bottom