PC fettling and repairs thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Which reminds me... I spotted TPM errors in the system logs on this laptop... I must investigate!
See if there is a bios update for your laptop.

Put the XPS over to Windows. Now get an error related to the GPU because I...fitted a battery?
Unfortunately, due to compatibility issues, there's no way to address this in Win 10. Yiu should be able to go into the AMD Catalyst Control Centre and switch off an auto setting to do with screen brightness, but Win 10 won't allow that part of the software to run. Back to Mint, permanently.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Put the XPS over to Windows. Now get an error related to the GPU because I...fitted a battery?
Unfortunately, due to compatibility issues, there's no way to address this in Win 10. Yiu should be able to go into the AMD Catalyst Control Centre and switch off an auto setting to do with screen brightness, but Win 10 won't allow that part of the software to run. Back to Mint, permanently.
Im drawing a blank at that one... Perhaps there is some issue with the power draw when on the batteries, but really I've never come across that before... If the problem doesn't exist on Mint, then it's probably a weird software quirk in Windows. Oh well, it is a nice machine regardless.

I've got an ancient Samsung RF511 that was a capable, versatile machine, until it had a fall and landed power-cable side down, which destroyed the socket.

The shop that repaired it did a terrible job, within a month or so it stopped accepting power again. I opened it up and the soldering on the replacement socket looked like it had been done by a drunken lemur. I should really get round to fixing it myself, but my attempts at soldering on other projects thus far make drunken lemurs look capable.

In other news, my crappy laptop that runs ubuntu+KDE has never performed satisfactorily. Prone to severe overheating, and I think it has memory issues because just browsing the web can cause it to freeze (assuming it doesn't overheat first). Anyway, a couple of days ago I accidentally tipped a whole cup of tea into it. It was still on, so I yanked the power and battery, dried it off as best I could, turned it back on, it seemed to work for a while then cut out. I guess some tea ingressed and shorted something out.

So that's another thing added to the list of things I need to sort out but probably won't ever get round to *glares at disassembled Amiga 500+ that's sat over there < for over a year*
Anyone have tips on how to motivate yourself to actually do this stuff?

I've got an ancient Samsung RF511 that was a capable, versatile machine, until it had a fall and landed power-cable side down, which destroyed the socket.

The shop that repaired it did a terrible job, within a month or so it stopped accepting power again. I opened it up and the soldering on the replacement socket looked like it had been done by a drunken lemur. I should really get round to fixing it myself, but my attempts at soldering on other projects thus far make drunken lemurs look capable.

In other news, my crappy laptop that runs ubuntu+KDE has never performed satisfactorily. Prone to severe overheating, and I think it has memory issues because just browsing the web can cause it to freeze (assuming it doesn't overheat first). Anyway, a couple of days ago I accidentally tipped a whole cup of tea into it. It was still on, so I yanked the power and battery, dried it off as best I could, turned it back on, it seemed to work for a while then cut out. I guess some tea ingressed and shorted something out.

So that's another thing added to the list of things I need to sort out but probably won't ever get round to *glares at disassembled Amiga 500+ that's sat over there < for over a year*
Ensure plenty of time, every tool you might conceivably need, a full HD desktop system for Youtube, and quite possibly alcohol. Both IPA for cleaning purposes, and something else to soothe the frustration...this particularly applies to laptops!
:biggrin:

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I’ve been mapping out a long and detailed response to this, which I will post in the fullness of time once I’ve considered all the options.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
May need to get into the CPU cooler for daughter's gaming PC - last couple of days it's been 'taking off' on start up, and I suspect it's shifted dust around as she just cleaned the front and top air intakes. Out with a fine paintbrush then !

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
May need to get into the CPU cooler for daughter's gaming PC - last couple of days it's been 'taking off' on start up, and I suspect it's shifted dust around as she just cleaned the front and top air intakes. Out with a fine paintbrush then !
I looked at my sons the other day, his was shutting off during that hot weather we had. I looked at his mesh dust covers and they're caked in dust! He knows it's his responsibility to clean, but I have to settle for the usual "I forgot" response 😡

I looked at my sons the other day, his was shutting off during that hot weather we had. I looked at his mesh dust covers and they're caked in dust! He knows it's his responsibility to clean, but I have to settle for the usual "I forgot" response 😡
My big desktop case is a Corsair Obsidian 750D. My younger son gave it to me, fitted with a Corsair (he likes Corsair!)H100 cpu water cooler.
When time came to give the case a good going over before build, the space between the radiator and the top of the case was solid fluff. Took an hour to clean it properly! :eek:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Son's got water cooling and a big radiator, but daughter's was a slightly budget build out of my pocket rather than his ! It's got an ARGB cooler on the CPU, and 4 ARGB case fans so plenty of air flow (and looks very pretty). Even in the hot weather it's been running fine, so I suspect it's just dust build up. Once re-booted it calms down.

Top Bottom