PC fettling and repairs thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I use a dual Xeon E5-2690 setup with an rtx 3060 and it bottlenecks that in some situations, those that rely on single threaded tasks particularly. My son who has the same GPU on a more modern CPU seems to suggest this is accurate but he also uses Windows and I use Linux so my GPU drivers are lagging behind somewhat too...

It's long been an issue with 'workstation' CPUs. Many games are heavily single-threaded, even new (ish) ones. Linus just tested a 128-core (yes, 256 thread) AMD EPYC and even with a 3090 Counter-Strike 2 was doing 50 fps. CPU just couldn't feed enough data to the GPU. Doom Eternal, OTOH...200 fps. My Mac Pro (Xeon X5690, RX580) remains a pretty capable gaming rig, not exactly bad for its age, but newer games mean turning increasing numbers of settings down.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
It's long been an issue with 'workstation' CPUs. Many games are heavily single-threaded, even new (ish) ones. Linus just tested a 128-core (yes, 256 thread) AMD EPYC and even with a 3090 Counter-Strike 2 was doing 50 fps. CPU just couldn't feed enough data to the GPU. Doom Eternal, OTOH...200 fps. My Mac Pro (Xeon X5690, RX580) remains a pretty capable gaming rig, not exactly bad for its age, but newer games mean turning increasing numbers of settings down.

I don't game too much, but I get acceptable fps (for me). I know that the young skins would find my granddad PC laughable, in fact my son does exactly that and urges me to upgrade, but I've long since left the upgrade rabbit hole and this PC does me. Looking at some of the more modern AAA games, many seem to run pretty bad on more modern setups than me but thats for others to explore.

yello

A bit of an interruption, and sorry for that, put how many USB drives would the panel hang off a single powered USB pub? I've 3 and I reckon I'm pushing it. It's a decent enough hub, though generic.

Last edited:

yello

No, as a rule they take turns at doing what they do. Sometimes, rarely, 2 might operate at the same time. They're backup drives rather than actively network served, and usually disconnected.

I do take my time connecting them though, waiting for it to be recognised before connecting the next. I don't know if that's a touch paranoid though.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
No, as a rule they take turns at doing what they do. Sometimes, rarely, 2 might operate at the same time. They're backup drives rather than actively network served, and usually disconnected.

I do take my time connecting them though, waiting for it to be recognised before connecting the next. I don't know if that's a touch paranoid though.

It’s as much about power draw and how much the drives are in use concurrently. If they aren’t used much in parallel then the hub (has its own power?) should be able to deliver the required current over usb.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Updated the media PC under the TV. Previously had a 4th gen i5 that would run streaming fine, but would struggle if I blue toothed audio to the hifi or external speakers at the same time. Found another i5, but a 6th gen and wiped it clean, and popped Window's 10 back on - fortunately it's digitally registered so no need for a licence. We use it for Disney Plus and ITV X as our old Samsung doesn't support the apps now - still fine for Prime and Netflix though. - New unit plays audio fine through the hifi !

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Not a PC, but I had to replace the drive in my freesat box. Of course it didn't work - i should have erased first.
So had to dig around in my "drawer of doom" for my USB to SATA adapter. Plugged the drive into my laptop and wiped it.
diskpart
select disk 1
clean

Can't stand watching live TV in the run-up to Christmas, so it's fab having recordings again; now I can fastforward through Kevin the f****** carrot, and those interminable pauses before finding out who is being banished from the bake-off tent.

Top Bottom