PC fettling and repairs thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dadam

Windows was essentially useless and unusable until 3.0 or 3.1

Thankfully my first experience of Windows was 3.1 at uni. I had to ask someone how to close a window and I was on a computer science course! :laugh:
Not obvious though: double click on the dash icon top left! I'd only ever used command lines before.

Svendo

Guru
Retro Computing

I retrieved my old Desktop from te attic where its sat since I moved into this house. I've kept the hard drive which I can use as a bare external drive for backups etc.
The only other bits I've saved from the tip run were the DDR Ram, 2xCorsair DDR2 2GB 800mhz modules (cm2x2048-6400c4dhx). Are these any use to anyone?

What's the attraction for you, over the standard android operating system?
Keeping otherwise obsolescent kit working. I'm actually not a fan of raw Android, I prefer Samsung's spin on it. The device in question, an S7, is rated for Android 8. It currently sports a reworked Galaxy Note 9 OS, using Android 10 as base. If ViperOS goes beyond that, might give it a pop. However, LineageOS roms for Android 12 and 13 are already available for the device.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Anyone have a fix for a supposedly "energy-saving" monitor that never goes to sleep?
Once the computer switches off, I'd expect the monitor to go to sleep too, but instead it pops up a message about there being no signal.
And the message keep coming back.

lazybloke

^^^ Turn it off. You're welcome. ^_^
That's exactly what my son does, otherwise the banner message lights up his room at night and keeps him awake!

But come on, this is a computer fettling thread... we want clever solutions, not bodges.

Dadam

Anyone have a fix for a supposedly "energy-saving" monitor that never goes to sleep?
Once the computer switches off, I'd expect the monitor to go to sleep too, but instead it pops up a message about there being no signal.
And the message keep coming back.

Have you been through the options in the monitor menu?

lazybloke

Have you been through the options in the monitor menu?
Nothing in there, nor in the manual.

Not too worried, because it's my son's 2nd montor and will become redundant in 3 weeks when he get a new monitor. Possibly I'll do some fettling in my office at that point.

Top Bottom