PC fettling and repairs thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Ah well then, pick one, the smallest install, figure out what you're going to do with it once you've installed it!

mustang1

Guru
I repaired the backlight on my old Dell, STUFF DELETED

I ended up installing Linux on that laptop but I haven't used it for a while. I must have another play with it some time...

Synonymous.
Now that I've rattled the Linux fan boys cages, I'll make a hasty retreat. :bicycle:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I'm going to have a bash at replacing a failed hard drive in an iMac with an SSD. How hard can it be because YouTube 😄
So the deed is done, all back together, powered up. You sense a but...

I can't get Command R to work on the machine to recover/install a copy of the Mac OS. All I get is a flashing folder with a ? on it. Any ideas, anyone?

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I never see an Apple Mac Fettling and Repairs thread. Oh yeah, that's coz they never break down.

Alrighty I'm outta here!:laugh:
Naa that's because Apple Service Centres have stiffed any customer who's computer dare have an issue and subsequently they have sadly passed away due to heart failure from shock or are completely bankrupt and have no Internet and still no computer.

I was looking at water cooling my graphics card, ... er, i'll get my coat :ohmy:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Naa that's because Apple Service Centres have stiffed any customer who's computer dare have an issue and subsequently they have sadly passed away due to heart failure from shock or are completely bankrupt and have no Internet and still no computer.
I'm in for £30 diagnostics (An Indy) £50 SSD (Amazon) and £7 decent torx 10 driver (Amazon) so I'm sanguine if she doesn't live again, but it would be nice to get the old girl back up and running :smile:

400ixl

Essentially doing the same thing really. DVD is a use once spend, but ready to go.

Buying a USB stick if you don't have one can then be repurposed for other things, but means you still have to do the prep work.

bruce1530

Guru
I can't get Command R to work on the machine to recover/install a copy of the Mac OS. All I get is a flashing folder with a ? on it. Any ideas, anyone?
Is it a proper Mac keyboard?
If it's a windows keyboard, hold down the "windows" key and press R
Power on the machine, immediately hit Command-R or Windows-R, Cant remember whether you hold or press repeatedly.

Top Bottom