Pea Shooters !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Kids today chew up up bits of paper and spit it through biro tubes. This means pages missing from exercise books and no pen to write with any way.

I was always doing that in the late 70s.
Great fun.
In fact I loved eating bits of paper..all my books were moth eaten.

Different age really.

Am all in favour of kids roaming free and not being over-coddled but I can understand why they are no longer a thing.

I well remember as a kid being told that:

A: Heading a football was perfectly safe.

B: You couldn't possibly be hurt by a hurtling cricket ball if you faced it like a (little) man.

Though I don't think I was a wimpy kid and did roam free common sense told me that both of these statements were rot.

NOW:

A: Increasing concern about this - see stories about Martin Peters. (and to think that in times past they increased the chances of harm by having laces!)

B: Cricket players now wear things that when I was a kid were only worn by American football players.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Wedgies! When was the last time you administered, or received, a wedgie?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I think you’re right, name rings a bell.
View attachment 498806
That brings back memories. I think everyone at school was packing one of those when they were all the rage. A few head teachers banned them, as I recall.

If kids run around the hood with realistic looking spud guns, someone is going to call da five-0. The feds will respond with a SWAT team and ask questions later.

gbb

Legendary Member
Oh Gawld, Elf n Saftey would cringe now...as kids (say 11 to 16) in the 70s, we had sheath knives, proper things with a 6inch (roughly) blade, i thought everyone had them on the airbases we used to live on, great for whittling spears, french arrows and playing chicken where you spread your legs as far apart as possible, your opponent doing the same about 3ft opposite you then throw the knife so it stuck in the ground between your opponents feet, who would then close one leg to that point, each time making the next throw more dangerous :wacko::wacko:. No-one lost a toe or even got stabbed...
Its a wonder we survived :becool:

Edited to say, no-one withing my group of well armed friends ever used them maliciously against another person, it just never occurred to you ...why would you do that ?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Like the catapults we used to make, great fun but probably illegal now.
The inept crafters just bought a Milbro like me, still available I see.
The same shop used to sell airguns and a range of penknives and sheath knives and we all used to crowd around the window coveting the displayed goods.

Last edited:
Top Bottom