Pedal/cleat noise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ShinSplint

My new bike has the Campag Centaur 10 spd groupset, which seems fine except...

I'm getting an increasingly frustrating click/knock sound coming from what seems to be my pedals or cleats, sometimes on one side, or both. I am hoping it is something to do with the pedals, moreso than the cranks or anything more serious.

Sometimes the noise disappears, but then when pushing hard uphill, out of the saddle, it comes back. I'm getting one click/knock sound per revolution, but not always in the same place. I can feel it through the sole of my foot, which makes me think its something to do with the pedals.

Pedals/cleats are Shimano SPD SL. I'm gonna play about with the tension settings on the pedals and see if that makes a difference.

In the meantime, has anyone else had this issue, maybe with pedals, or something more serious?

Thanks for any help, its much appreciated. :ohmy:

Hont

Guru
Used to have a slight creak from the pedals, when my SPD cleats were twisting in them slightly. But that was at the same point on the rotation each time and it didn't click. So that's probably not much help is it? It does sound like a cleat/pedal issue though.

Only way to know for sure is pedal unclipped or try it with some regular pedals.

Watt-O

Watt-o posing in Athens
Sounds more like the pedal axel barings, solution: replace barings or uprade to group set to SRAM Red and Look carbon fibre pedals. ;-)

OP
OP
S

ShinSplint

I should mention, the SPD SL pedals/cleats are brand new as well, only done sub 200 miles. I've been doing a bit of searching here, and someone else had the same problem which turned out to be the crank bolt that needed tightening... i'll check this out tonight.

I emphasise, it is a definate click/knock, and not a creak.

Cheers.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Unlikely to be the pedals at that age...another surprising but possible source of such mysterious clicks in my experience is shoes. Are your cleats tightened? Have you tried riding in a pair of old trainers to see if it makes a difference? Might be worth trying, if only to 'eliminate them from your enquiries'.

OP
OP
S

ShinSplint

I've been looking into what tools I will need to remove the crankset if necessary.

There are specific tools i.e. the UT-BB110, which are needed. Looks like I might have to fork out a lot for each tool needed. :smile:

Are there any cheap alternatives?

Ideally I would buy a kit with the lot in... but do they exist? The Campag Centaur for example requires specific tools for that type of bottom bracket.

If anyone knows of alternatives, please do tell

gbb

Legendary Member
Ive had a similar experience some years ago, it turned out to be the cleat / shoe interface.
Undid the cleat, tightened it all back up in the shoe....problem solved.
I should add the cleat 'seemed' tight...you wouldnt know there was a problem by sight or feel.

OP
OP
S

ShinSplint

cheers gbb, i'll give this ago to. Up to now, i've only tightened them up more, without loosening them first...

Top Bottom