Pedal cleats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jayweston

Do pedal cleats or whatever there called ( used to be toe clips) help create more power ?
Today whilst in a bike shop I overheard a sales tech telling a customer that if she had them
Fitted to the cycle she had obviously just bought it would add I think he said as much as 30 percent
More power ! Can't be right , or instead of fiddling with gears etc just fit these cleated type pedals
Please let me know any extra power is welcom ! Sounds to simple

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've had them for three years now and I'm certainly no faster but they make cycling a bit less of an effort for me personally. The big advantage is that they keep my feet at the correct point over the pedal axle so that the puny force from my spindly legs gets into the drive train efficiently.

Cubist

Still wavin'
30% more power is a bit of a tall claim... it assumes that the rider is able to pull up on the upstroke as well as push down on the downstroke. Yu can, but not for very long as your legs will soon show you. It does however improve pedalling action, increase the security if your foot on the pedal and allow you to develop a smooth and reasonably efficient action. Not everybody sees the benefits, and some will even claim its a way to make you part with more cash. Personally, I prefer to be clipped in, especially off road. Oh. And I like the excuse to wear disco slippers as often as possible.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
It makes cycling easier more comfortable and hence presumably a little bit more efficient. 30% is a bit of a big claim though, but I'd believe 10%, maybe more. ( not based on any science, just a guess).

"Pulling up" I don't believe at all - at any rate, I don't do it.

Signifiantly easier and more convenient clipping in and out than traditional toe clips, but have to have the dreaded "special shoes. The benefit whilst actually riding are same as toe clips of course.

Personally I have the mountain bike type rather than road type as I was led to believe they're easier to clip in qnd out, and certain easier to walk in the shoes.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
30% is a very big claim & cant say I've noticed that much improvement in power :sad: But as other have said being clipped in improves pedalling action & keeps your foot in the right spot.
I can confirm though that when climbing over a metal farm gate in road shoes you have at least 30% less grip which can leave you straddling the gate & singing soprano :whistle:

D

Deleted member 1258

I've been on clips and straps for over 25 years, for the last 4 years I've had one bike on clipless and one bike on clips and straps, I've not found any difference between the two, its been that long since I last rode without foot restraint that I couldn't say what the difference between flats and clipless is, I just think he was bull s******* to get a sale.

Reactions: 4F

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My youngest's just moved to SPD's on his road bike after protesting he didn't need them.

10 miles down the road .... "wow, I'm much faster. Cool."

Instead of a ten year-old's comments I'd suggest there's an improvement because you're pedalling more efficiently. Unless you had the toe clips correctly, when you were anyway.

I use SPD-SL's on the road bikes and SPD's on the mountain bikes and after being sceptical at first I wouldn't be without them.

Freds Dad

Veteran
I started off with ordinary pedals with a toe strap thingy but kept getting told that I would feel better with clips. My main concern was that I would forget to unclip and fall into the path of traffic.
After doing some homework including looking on here I made the decision to purchase and if I didn't like I could go back to my old pedals.

After fitting them I rode round the garden on the pretence that if I forgot to unclip I would fall onto grass unless I was near the pond. I did get odd looks from our ducks and chickens as I pedalled round the garden but they moved out of the way.

When happy that I could unclip and put the correct foot down I ventured out onto the roads early one Sunday morning. The difference was unbelievable. I feel more in contact with the bike and have more control over the pedalling action but I have no idea how to pedal on the up stroke.

My advice would be give them a go. You will be surprised at the difference.

gbb

Legendary Member
Its maybe how you interpret 'more' power.
More power ?...than simply using straps or platform pedals ?..well perhaps the fact you're not slipping and sliding on normal pedals...gives you more power, more positive action over a time....therefor the simple claim is probably true.

If they claim you can increase force simply by having cleats and apply power simply (as most people do) on the downstroke...i'd dispute that simple logic, but, when my legs get tired, i try to use the upstroke to pull the pedals, the swiping dogpoo off the sole of your shoe stroke. This relieves my thights and transfers the effort to the calves, giving me more endurance over the ride. Extra endurance = extra power you could argue.

Its a pedalling style you need to practice...sadly i rarely do, but i can see (and feel ) the benefits when i do.

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Not sure how to interpret this upstroke pedalling method.

I try to use it all the time (sometimes forget!), but with me, it's more a case of consciously attempting to lift the leg up with the upstroke rather than letting it dangle like a dead weight, so as to make it slightly easier for the leg applying the downstroke.

Otherwise you end up with a situation where some power is lost as both legs are pushing against each other rather propelling the bike forward!

Top Bottom