Pedal for Scotland 2012

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aiden_23

Has any of my fellow Scottish Gods/Goddesses :angel::wacko: (or any other member) had experience in this event. I was looking at either the Sportive event(100 miles) or the Challange ride(50 miles) then riding home again. I was wondering if this event is suitable for using a Road Bike the whole distance. This will be my goal for 2012-100 mile ride as to date the longest I have done is about 20 miles on a MTB.:hyper::sweat:

Col5632

Guru
Has any of my fellow Scottish Gods/Goddesses :angel::wacko: (or any other member) had experience in this event. I was looking at either the Sportive event(100 miles) or the Challange ride(50 miles) then riding home again. I was wondering if this event is suitable for using a Road Bike the whole distance. This will be my goal for 2012-100 mile ride as to date the longest I have done is about 20 miles on a MTB.:hyper::sweat:

I have done the challenge ride 3 times, i only have a hybrid so its my only choice of bike, its a great route and only a few hilly parts but most of it is pretty flat with excellent scenery ^_^ I would say using a road bike is perfect as the whole route is on road pretty much ^_^

I only rode it once a couple of years back before they provided alternatives and it was just a ride from Glasgow to Edinburgh.

Then it was a victim of it's own success with thousands taking part. The feed stops were a mad scramble and it must have been a nightmare in some areas for the locals as a continuous stream of people came by on bikes with little or no regard for them.

Not a ride I particularly enjoyed.

On the other hand, I would highly recommend the Edinburgh to StAndrews ride for LEPRA

Col5632

Guru
I only rode it once a couple of years back before they provided alternatives and it was just a ride from Glasgow to Edinburgh.

Then it was a victim of it's own success with thousands taking part. The feed stops were a mad scramble and it must have been a nightmare in some areas for the locals as a continuous stream of people came by on bikes with little or no regard for them.

Not a ride I particularly enjoyed.

On the other hand, I would highly recommend the Edinburgh to StAndrews ride for LEPRA

I would agree with the amount of people taking part and rest stops can be a little busy but well worth stopping for the amount of choice and its all FREE ^_^

When is the Edinburgh to St Andrews ride do you know?

OP
OP
Aiden_23

Aiden_23

I am considering doing both now as long as I am fit enough for it. Maybe give Pedal for Scotland a blast and if it is bad then give it a miss the following year. I have heard several work friends expressing interest in PFS even though they have little or no interest in cycling,hopefully it keeps them interested and they join the revolution!!!! 400bhp I would not be taking part if it was for that horrible club that overspent and cant handle the results. I wonder if there will be jelly and ice cream at the end of the Charity rides.Okay Im stopping now;):troll: this is a cycling forum after all!!!!

jim55

Guru
I would agree with the amount of people taking part and rest stops can be a little busy but well worth stopping for the amount of choice and its all FREE ^_^
Er,, no its not free , I done it last yr (2011) and at one feed station the only thing that was free was milk cos it sponsored by fresh n lo, there was some sort of women's institute / baking thing that was like a stall full of cakes but you had to buy them , there was a big free food stop at kirkliston palace I think but do not go expecting everything all day to b free(unless it's milk)
The hill out of avonbridge feed stop is a killer and to second somebody else's thought its full of people who maybe only ride once a yr and wobble about all over the place , the general standard of riding is pretty low I'd say ( think mums and kids / fat guys on mountain bikes /middle age women who are doing it for charity , that kinda thing ( don't let urself get ridden/pushed near the pavement cos when some overweight Sunday cyclist stops you have to as well as u cant pass them due to the crowd (btw this was the challenge not the big sportive)
I actually came off in Coatbridge as somebody was going for a gap and clipped my front wheel , I was left lying in the road trying to dodge all the bikes behind me while they cycled away ( no doubt oblivious)
No , I won't b doing it again , too many body's and no or very little bike skills amongst them
( du get the feeling I didn't enjoy it lol, - I enjoyed the good bits but it realy has become a victim of its own success
( and just to prove -

b1055124.jpg

Col5632

Guru
Er,, no its not free , I done it last yr (2011) and at one feed station the only thing that was free was milk cos it sponsored by fresh n lo, there was some sort of women's institute / baking thing that was like a stall full of cakes but you had to buy them , there was a big free food stop at kirkliston palace I think but do not go expecting everything all day to b free(unless it's milk)
The hill out of avonbridge feed stop is a killer and to second somebody else's thought its full of people who maybe only ride once a yr and wobble about all over the place , the general standard of riding is pretty low I'd say ( think mums and kids / fat guys on mountain bikes /middle age women who are doing it for charity , that kinda thing ( don't let urself get ridden/pushed near the pavement cos when some overweight Sunday cyclist stops you have to as well as u cant pass them due to the crowd (btw this was the challenge not the big sportive)
I actually came off in Coatbridge as somebody was going for a gap and clipped my front wheel , I was left lying in the road trying to dodge all the bikes behind me while they cycled away ( no doubt oblivious)
No , I won't b doing it again , too many body's and no or very little bike skills amongst them
( du get the feeling I didn't enjoy it lol, - I enjoyed the good bits but it realy has become a victim of its own success
( and just to prove -

b1055124.jpg

Ok i meant most of it was free, bananas and choc bars at kirkliston were all free iirc :smile:

It is a really crowded cycle though and i agree not all follow the rules and it can be hard to get going at times but i still have enjoyed it every year :smile:

jim55

Guru
oh and btw a road bike is ideal ,,its road /tarmac /paved all the way ,,,and yeah ,,a few guys i know rode both ways last yr ,,very doable (but not for me lol)

Col5632

Guru
Another bad thing about it is the Q for getting on the bus to glasgow in the morning can be massive if you leave it till a little later :ohmy:

jim55

Guru
Another bad thing about it is the Q for getting on the bus to glasgow in the morning can be massive if you leave it till a little later :ohmy:
well as i stay in glasgow it was no bother ,,and getting back i got the train from waverly as there was a few bikes heading for haymarket as i was told thats nearer ,,i done it in an easy 4 hr ish but there was that many people about i dont think i could go much faster ,i think if i wasnt faffing about at feed points and queing and stuff i could do it in prob half an hr less ,but its in no way a race

top-tube

Über Member
Sportive route is much, much quieter than the challenge ride. Have done it for the last 2 years, but on both occasions, the weather has been poor (well it is September). Quite hilly in the first 40 miles or so as well, but settles down thereafter.

Top Bottom