Pedal hitting the ground on corners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mattybeeee

Urgh. I just fell off my new hybrid bike going round a corner - the pedal hit the ground and the bike threw me off. It's a new bike and a little on the small side for me, but I don't see how this would make a difference.

How can I stop this from happening again? I have to go round corners!!

lulubel

Über Member
Freewheel round corners with the pedal on the inside of the bend in the 12 o'clock (highest) position.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Urgh. I just fell off my new hybrid bike going round a corner - the pedal hit the ground and the bike threw me off. It's a new bike and a little on the small side for me, but I don't see how this would make a difference.

How can I stop this from happening again? I have to go round corners!!

I take it you were leaning into the corner. Right hand bends right foot up, Left hand bends, left foot up and coast around them. If you need to pedal, don't lean :smile:

OP
OP
M

mattybeeee

Thanks for the tips - I never had this problem with my previous bike so I was just wondering if it had something to do with the build. Guess I just have to be more careful!

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Thanks for the tips - I never had this problem with my previous bike so I was just wondering if it had something to do with the build. Guess I just have to be more careful!

Maybe your crank arm is longer? Or you are going faster and leaning more? Most important thing is you are OK and second most important is you asked. Sure the state of the bike is important as well :smile:

martint235

Dog on a bike

You'll get used to it. I swapped from a compact crank to a full size with 175mm arms and suddenly found cornering (particularly right hand corners as I tend to keep my right foot down) became "interesting".

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

did the previous bike have stabilisers on?

Dan B

Disengaged member
Previous bike may have had shorter cranks or a higher BB or narrower pedals. There are many explanations

Arsen Gere

Über Member
I'd suggest on tight corners letting the saddle rest against the inner part of the outer thigh, move your body in to the corner and keep the bike more up right. Moving your weight around keeps the physics the same but allows you to pedal.

MTB's and some hybrids have a greater distance between the pedals, usually about 1cm on each side compared to the straight cranks of a road bike. If you look down the crank it may be curved rather than straight.

I got thrown off a bike when I hit the crank on the ground on bend with a camber, it bent the back wheel rim in two places and it was useless.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I'd suggest on tight corners letting the saddle rest against the inner part of the outer thigh, move your body in to the corner and keep the bike more up right. Moving your weight around keeps the physics the same but allows you to pedal.
You will only get around a tight corner doing that if you are going slowly. in which case, you might as well turn

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
[QUOTE 1509693"]
No. Often take my local RAB into work doing 20mph+, remember you are leaning with your body.
[/quote]

A tight corner at +20mph without leaning the bike out? not too sure about that
The problem with not leaning the bike with you is you loose a little bit of control and to relate back to the original post i quoted, why would you want to pedal around a tight corner?

snailracer

Über Member
^^
It's possible, motorbikers do it to an extreme degree when racing, however it is impossible to lean off the side AND pedal hard at the same time.

Top Bottom