Pedal question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I use a mixture of M520 and A520 on my bikes: A520 for the pure "road" bikes and M520 for the gravel/CX bike and the fixed (where clipping in without flicking the pedal over is more of an advantage). I do find the A520s give more support on the road, plus they look better. I haven't tried really stiff shoes, though - I've got some carbon-soled MTB shoes ready to go when the weather improves, so it'll be interesting to see whether there's a difference.

For me, not falling over in cafes is more important than any minor performance benefit road pedals might offer! ;)

Venod

Eh up
With an SPD the big lump of metal pedal and the metal cleat drains heat from the sole of your foot and with less rigid shoes you can feel the pedals in the middle of the sole.

My Sidi MTB shoes have the same stiff sole as the same model road shoe, it just has some treads fastened on the bottom and the ability to add spikes at the front, I rode the " lightweight sporty road pedals" for a long time, I now ride double sided SPD on all my bikes and see no reason to go back.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Road pedals and road shoes just look right on a road bike, not important for many maybe, but it's up to you. In my opinion they do feel better to ride in as they're optimised for cycling, and they're not a compromise.

People often mention road cleats being difficult to walk in, but ask yourself how much walking you intend to do in them. They're for cycling, and I'm only going to cycle in mine. The longest walk mine will ever do is from the pub cycle shed to the bar or toilet, and I can't say that's ever been difficult.

I appreciate some like to walk around town etc in cycling shoes but that's what recessed cleats were designed for, it's for you to decide. I'm on Look Keo 2 and North Wave shoes for what it's worth.

Last edited:

subaqua

What’s the point
I have SPD on my road , MTB and commuter. The Shimano Deore XT PD T780 cos they are dual sided and have reflectors . Meaning I can ride any of the bikes in the same shoes .

They only rule that applies is don't buy upgrades , ride up grades . ;)

vickster

Legendary Member
Road pedals and road shoes just look right on a road bike, not important for many maybe, but it's up to you. In my opinion they do feel better to ride in as they're optimised for cycling, and they're not a compromise.

People often mention road cleats being difficult to walk in, but ask yourself how much walking you intend to do in them. They're for cycling, and I'm only going to cycle in mine. The longest walk mine will ever do is from the pub cycle shed to the bar or toilet, and I can't say that's ever been difficult.

I appreciate some like to walk around town etc in cycling shoes but that's what recessed cleats were designed for, it's for you to decide. I'm on Look Keo 2 and North Wave shoes for what it's worth.

I'm always walking off the bike, round the shops after cycling, as well the cafe stop shop etc. I have bad knees so need a stable walking surface. As I found out in September twisting my knee is a bad thing, as the bone collapsed. I personally wish to minimise that risk :smile:

What does it matter what the pedals look like, they can't be seen when you're actually riding. Depends whether you see them as functional or also as fashion statement I spose :smile: if so, those marketing folks must be rubbing their hands in glee :biggrin:

M 520s are great pedals, but they are very heavy and pretty ugly on a decent road bike. Why spend all that money on a carbon road bike and then weigh it down with heavy steel pedals? Finish the job off with some nice, stylish, light SLs The carbon 105s are perfectly adequate, and give you access to much better stiffer, stronger shoes which are far better for distances over about 40 miles, when the narrow SPDs start to put pressure on.
SPDs are fine for utility bikes and round town, but for serious distance riding SL.

vickster

Legendary Member
M 520s are great pedals, but they are very heavy and pretty ugly on a decent road bike. Why spend all that money on a carbon road bike and then weigh it down with heavy steel pedals? Finish the job off with some nice, stylish, light SLs The carbon 105s are perfectly adequate, and give you access to much better stiffer, stronger shoes which are far better for distances over about 40 miles, when the narrow SPDs start to put pressure on.
SPDs are fine for utility bikes and round town, but for serious distance riding SL.
Why can't they create a so called road pedal with double sided clipping?

What constitutes serious distance riding? I'm sure many an audaxer and touring cyclist uses SPDs or do you only mean club rides and sportives? ;)

Venod

Eh up
and give you access to much better stiffer, stronger shoes which are far better for distances over about 40 miles, when the narrow SPDs start to put pressure on.

As stated up thread you can get MTB style shoes with the same construction as road shoes, I have done lots of 100 mile plus rides without problems, I have also used road clipless pedals and shoes and find no difference in pedaling or comfort on the bike, so the advantage of double sided and being able to walk in the shoes is a big advantage to me. the look of them is not a concern.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
and give you access to much better stiffer, stronger shoes which are far better for distances over about 40 miles, when the narrow SPDs start to put pressure on.

Sorry, that's just complete nonsense. You can buy MTB shoes that has just as stiff soles as road shoes.
Get the right set up for the type of riding you do then you shouldn't have a problem with sore feet or hot foot, what ever the distance you are doing with whatever pedal/shoe combination you use.

Sorry, that's just complete nonsense. You can buy MTB shoes that has just as stiff soles as road shoes.
Get the right set up for the type of riding you do then you shouldn't have a problem with sore feet or hot foot, what ever the distance you are doing with whatever pedal/shoe combination you use.

Why would you want to buy MTB shoes for road use?

Top Bottom