Pedal question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mynydd

Veteran
hi, after a bit of advice.
I've been using basic spd (shimano m520's) for a few years, and have them on both my commuter and road bike.
I've just taken the plunge and ordered a canyon endurace (carbon) as this'll be my good weather bike is it worth me considering different, more road orientated pedals? I have pair of summer shoes that I could put different cleats on.
Or would it be purely cosmetic, and make no difference?
I'd appreciate your views.
Thanks

vickster

Legendary Member
No difference probably but only you can tell. Maybe give it a try. Can get SPD-SL pedals with cleats for £30 so if you have the shoes.
Don't expect to be able to walk very far though which would put me off and the slipperiness!
The other reason is not being able to clip in on both sides of the pedal like the M520 which are super pedals for that reason

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The only difference would be the look. I don't see the point of giving up a tried and tested pedal just for the look. I have the 520s on my Carbon Di2 roadbike. They are fine.

13 rider

Guru
I have SPD pedals on my roadie and hybrid so only need 1 pair of shoes . Can't see the point of different shoes for different bikes . There may be a marginal gain using SPD L pedals and shoes but if your not racing it's not enough for me to consider changing .I do believe SPD L pedals look better on a roadie but once your on the bike you can no longer see the pedals

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I use both types on different bikes. As others have said the SPD pedals in my opinion are slightly easier to clip in/out and the recessed cleat allow for easy walking however the M520 are quite heavy. If you have just purchased a new carbon Canyon then a lighter Look Keo carbon or Shimano Ultegra/Dura Ace SPD-SL may be what you are looking for.

Last edited:

chr15b

Über Member
I started off with SPD-SL and switched to M520's and much prefer the M520's.

I don't notice any difference using them, it's better walking in the shoes (recessed cleat) and although I had no issues clipping in to the SPD-SL's the M520's I feel require that little bit less attention.

r04DiE

300km a week through London on a road bike.
I'd use the A520's they may be single sided but once you get the knack/trick of getting them to flick over they're good and look better on a road bike IMO

http://www.googleadservices.com/pag...ahUKEwjNvOTQ6OTRAhXCL8AKHe2SCiMQwg8IIA&adurl=
Your link is broken, this link works. Do these take the 520 cleats, please? I love my 520's but I get numb feet with them and I'm pretty sure its due to the small area of them. Indeed this is mentioned in the comments in the link.

Last edited:

Globalti

Legendary Member
There are some really stuffy, curmudgeonly replies and some bad advice on this thread.

SPD pedals and SPD compatible shoes weigh approximately double the weight of a smooth-soled road shoe with something like an SPD-SL pedal, thanks for the need for a deep well and hence lots of rubber and the heavy build of the double-sided pedal. With an SPD the big lump of metal pedal and the metal cleat drains heat from the sole of your foot and with less rigid shoes you can feel the pedals in the middle of the sole. Road shoes and pedals give you a flatter firmer platform and are better suited to the lightweight sporty character of a road bike.

Any anyway it's in The Rules: Mountain bike pedals have no place on a road bike except when commuting or doing something that might require walking.

PS: Don't buy Look pedals, the quality is terrible. Buy Shimano SPD-SL.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Unfortunately, when I was vaguely thinking of trying SPD-SL, I couldn't personally find one pair of shoes priced under £150 to fit comfortably (I didn't try the stupidly expensive Sidi disco slippers). I however have SPD shoes that are comfortable for riding and walking :smile:

I guess horses for courses, but for me, I need to be able to walk properly in a pair of comfortable shoes

Agree @vickster, I often spend days sat at the cricket in my cycling shoes (to avoid taking a second pair) and so need to walk around a bit!! The spd's let me do that.

Not sure I'm fit/fast enough to note a great difference.

Top Bottom