Pedal question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Fine. And I prefer road. Each to his own.

In the nature of what I do in cycling, I do come across people who find that there is more pressure on the two-bolt system, and they want to change. For what it is worth, I usually recommend SPD to people new to cleats as they are easier to get into to start with. The OP was asking about pedals for a carbon bike. Presumably, if she/he is investing in carbon, weight is important to him/her. The steel SPDs are very heavy, and not everyone finds them comfortable over a distance. Light SPDs are very expensive. Carbon SLs (105) are cheap and light.

subaqua

What’s the point
The MW81 boots I have keep my feet dry and warm better than any road shoe and overboot combo ...

I see they have been discontinued tho however the new version looks very very nice . Vibram sole .mmmmmm

Great for riding a good distance somewhere like a NT or EH place then walking round without looking like its cycling stuff.

Can I justify the purchase I wonder.....

OP
OP
mynydd

mynydd

Veteran
Obviously a lot of different opinions on this! :laugh:
May as well get a pair of spd sl's to try as they're cheaper than I'd thought they were, I can always revert to what I know, if I don't get on with them.
Thanks again...
I've enjoyed reading the comments here

Globalti

Legendary Member
Stirred up a proper hornets' nest didn't ya!

My view is that road cycling is about technique, fitness, self-reliance, the lore of group riding, finesse, style and using the appropriate equipment. That means decent snug-fitting clothing that doesn't flap, not using a bum bag or a Camelback or rucsac and if possible avoiding even a small saddle bag. Good snug-fitting shoes and proper road pedals complete the package.

Many will say they don't care a hoot how they look but to others, it matters.

vickster

Legendary Member
Stirred up a proper hornets' nest didn't ya!

My view is that road cycling is about technique, fitness, self-reliance, the lore of group riding, finesse, style and using the appropriate equipment.
What a load of blokey willy waving tosh :biggrin:

boydj

Legendary Member
I started on SPDs and then discovered Speedplay Frogs. They are small, light, double-sided, go on MTB or Touring shoes and, best of all have no springs, yet are totally secure under pressure. I've commuted on them and done all-day rides with no problems. Since I only ride on roads, I decided last year to try out SPD-SL. After 2 months of trying to get used to them I went back to the Speedplays. No contest.

Top Bottom