Pedal removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all,

I got some nice new SPD pedals for Christmas to replace the Wellgo flats on my Defy1. In preparation for dusting the road bike off for the spring, I went to swap my pedals today. However, I have abandoned it as the old pedals simply won't budge. I am definitely turning them the right way (youtube is my friend) but they won't move. The pedal is an Wellgo MD85 and appears to allow me to remove either using a 15mm wrench or a 6mm allen key. I haven't got the best tools so I probably just don't have the right leverage to remove them. I am tempted just to take it to the LBS but I welcome any tips as a grown man should be doing this themselves.

Cheers

Mike

Blow torch to crack the join! It will cause the pedal to shrink and break the join.

screenman

Legendary Member
Bike shop or buy a top quality pedal spanner, round the flats off with cheap tools and it could cost you more.

Think about it can the bike mechanic do your job?

Reactions: mjr

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
You are probably right, you don't have the correct leverage, as you will see when the LBS guy pulls out a 2 foot long spanner. The problem with pedals is that you can so easily round them before eventually admitting defeat and going to the LBS, but this time you look a bit silly.

Take them to the LBS.

OP
OP
mikeloveshisrockhopper

mikeloveshisrockhopper

My tools are rubbish which is why I haven't persevered for fear of breaking stuff. I am torn between investing in better tools or just taking it to my lbs. Even with good tools, I am pretty inept mechanically.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
When I failed to get a drive side pedal off using the tools I had at my disposal, I took it round to a local bike café. We got it off, free of charge, before they'd served me my coffee. They were happy to do it and I've been happy to take the bike back to them for more profitable work for them since then. There's a chance your LBS will cheerfully do it as a goodwill gesture, as a sort of loss leader.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Pedal spanner. You can do it with a regular 15mm (I think) open automotive spanner if it's thin enough and curves so it doesn't foul anything. If it's stubborn and the spanner's securely on, you might be able to sit on the bike and stand on it, but be prepared for it to move or not!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Oh and trying to dribble penetrating oil into the threads can be enough if it's only stuck, rather than seized. You can get freeze sprays which work like ice packs too.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Don't go standing on an allen key, though. DAMHIKT.
And when you are in a hurry to get the pedals off to pack your bike for a cycling holiday and you see the jagged teeth on the chainring looking a bit evil, don't ignore the danger and heave on the pedal spanner regardless. It really is NOT a brilliant idea. DAMHIKT either! :banghead:

And remember what it felt like when you were staring at the back of your hand which had been ripped open by the chainring when the inevitable happened, and you thought that you'd end up in A&E in Halifax rather than on a flight to Spain ... AND DO NOT DO IT AGAIN! :laugh:

Nowadays, I put a pile of books under the crank to stop it turning and then stand on the pedal spanner. Easy peasy!

Top Bottom