Pedal removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gert Lush

I poured boiling water on mine and wedged a thick chunk of wood between the frame and crank so it stopped it from moving. Obviously protecting the frame at the same time. The boiling water was the trick though. I just used a normal spanner on it

screenman

Legendary Member
I smothered the crank in peanut butter then wrapped a piece of bread around it, this I held in place for 300 miles with cables ties. This seemed to do the trick well, because as soon as I got the pedal spanner on it off it came quite easily.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4631165, member: 9609"]if it don't have 'drop forged' on it, drop it in the bin.[/QUOTE]

There was a nice advert by Sykes some years back "all that glisters is not chrome-vanadium". That said I have some excellent socket headed wrenches which don't say drop forged, nor even a maker's name, just the word "India" which isn't a promising start, but against all expectations they're great. Not the way to bet though.

subaqua

What’s the point
There was a nice advert by Sykes some years back "all that glisters is not chrome-vanadium". That said I have some excellent socket headed wrenches which don't say drop forged, nor even a maker's name, just the word "India" which isn't a promising start, but against all expectations they're great. Not the way to bet though.
My dads Britool stuff bought in 1957 is drop forged chrome vanadium, and still going strong.
Some of the chrome is pitting and crazing now, but by heck they were worked hard by him and by me . I hope I can pass them on to my son to use.

Whitworth, AF and some metric ( metric stuff is in better condition as didn't get used much on old British Buses)

Britool now sadly owned by Stanley Black and Decker :sad:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
I smothered the crank in peanut butter then wrapped a piece of bread around it, this I held in place for 300 miles with cables ties. This seemed to do the trick well, because as soon as I got the pedal spanner on it off it came quite easily.

Does it matter which brand of peanut butter? I'm thinking something like Sunpat with lots of added sugar might be better than yer fancy sugar-free Whole Earth variety. And definitely wouldn't use crunchy for that application.

When I started my apprenticeship in 1977 the firm supplied me with a set of Britool spanners (amongst other tools) which I paid for at a quid a week for about three years, they're as good as new today. I also still use a Bahco 12" shifter that was my grandad's which must be 70 years old.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I use a vacuum cleaner pipe - but don't tell my wife.
I tried that once and broke the pipe!

Reactions: mjr
[QUOTE 4631291, member: 9609"]Here's a picture book I have just made of removing a pedal.
ped2_1480_zpsr80boatp.jpg

Drop forged CV 15mm spanner plus piece of heavy pipe (mechanical advantage increaser)

ped2_1476_zpsjkcnspc5.jpg

slide pipe over end of spanner

ped3_1472_zpsveolfi57.jpg

Press front wheel onto unmoveable object, press down hard down on pedal with foot then push down on pipe. (use quality tools that you can trust as you might hurt yourself if something snaps, don't use all your strength doing this, just use a small proportion of effort then if something breaks or slips you will still be in control of the situation )[/QUOTE]

that hammer in the last photo should do the trick :okay:

Attachments

• ped2_1480_zpsr80boatp.jpg
    ped2_1480_zpsr80boatp.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 42
  • ped2_1476_zpsjkcnspc5.jpg
    ped2_1476_zpsjkcnspc5.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 39
  • ped3_1472_zpsveolfi57.jpg
    ped3_1472_zpsveolfi57.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 46
Top Bottom