Pedal removal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm shocked at such treatment of books!
I'm not talking about first editions of the works of Chaucer, or the like - old paperbacks from the local charity shop! :okay:

I now have a concrete building block to use. I found it in the cellar of my rental property and normally use it as a step when getting on and off the bike on my new turbo trainer. I overbalanced when trying to dismount the first time that I used the tt, not having allowed for the fact that the bike is held nearly 2 inches off the ground.

Last edited:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
... and women.

I wish it were so, but the Sunday club ride is usually a conspicuously female-free zone. We're a very traditional club in that respect. Unfortunately.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I wish it were so, but the Sunday club ride is usually a conspicuously female-free zone. We're a very traditional club in that respect. Unfortunately.
That's a shame. Exeter Wheelers have managed to develop a good women's racing scene through the intervention of a couple of women who weren't going to be put off... but all this is entirely off-topic.

fatblokish

Guru
[QUOTE 4631291, member: 9609"]Here's a picture book I have just made of removing a pedal.
ped2_1480_zpsr80boatp.jpg

Drop forged CV 15mm spanner plus piece of heavy pipe (mechanical advantage increaser)

ped2_1476_zpsjkcnspc5.jpg

slide pipe over end of spanner

ped3_1472_zpsveolfi57.jpg

Press front wheel onto unmoveable object, press down hard down on pedal with foot then push down on pipe. (use quality tools that you can trust as you might hurt yourself if something snaps, don't use all your strength doing this, just use a small proportion of effort then if something breaks or slips you will still be in control of the situation )[/QUOTE]
Carpet in the shed, well I never!

Attachments

• ped2_1480_zpsr80boatp.jpg
    ped2_1480_zpsr80boatp.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 50
  • ped2_1476_zpsjkcnspc5.jpg
    ped2_1476_zpsjkcnspc5.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 54
  • ped3_1472_zpsveolfi57.jpg
    ped3_1472_zpsveolfi57.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 41
Reactions: mjr

mmmmartin

Random geezer
A small gas camping stove provided enough heat to shift some stuck pedals. A decent pedal spanner can be borrowed from a fellow cycling club member.

Heat until hot, try with pedal spanner. If no worky, repeat. If no worky, repeat again. Etc.

As an aside, I've found that every single piece of cheap kit has eventually been replaced with a proper, expensive, decent item for the toolkit. Including the cheap pedal spanner. YMMV.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Nowadays, I put a pile of books under the crank to stop it turning and then stand on the pedal spanner. Easy peasy!
I favour squeezing the spanner and crank like nutcrackers (and making sure I don't pinch my hand in them) if possible.

Is relative expansion a 'thing'?
No, it's a phenomenon (doo-do-de-do-doo).

A pedal spanner is of no use for these, the Allen key hole has rounded off so I will have to grind some flats on or dismantle the pedal and use some Stillsons to remove it when it finally expires.

View attachment 156693
Reasons not to buy...

[QUOTE 4631283, member: 9609"]wow, I never heard it one of those before ^_^[/QUOTE]
Next you'll be telling us you don't have a percussive maintainer among your shed tools!

As an aside, I've found that every single piece of cheap kit has eventually been replaced with a proper, expensive, decent item for the toolkit. Including the cheap pedal spanner. YMMV.
Yeah, they don't last forever, but there's some perfectly workable ones to get you started until you have more idea what a decent expensive one looks like, as there's a few shockingly bad expensive tools out there...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I favour squeezing the spanner and crank like nutcrackers (and making sure I don't pinch my hand in them) if possible.
I think my description of 'standing' on the pedal spanner was a bit misleading. I don't actually support my body weight on it, I use the superior strength of my leg backed up by my body weight to carefully apply whatever force is required to undo the pedal. So far, that has never required more than a hard push with my foot.

Reactions: mjr

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
The same process with spanner and pipe can be more easily, (IMHO) using allen key and an old pair of handlebars. There is more chance of a cyclist having spare handlebars than a lump of steel tube big enough to slip over a spanner. While we are on the subject, why are they referred to as a pair of handlebars, or a pair of pants. You don't refer to a bra as a pair, why should call pants or handlebars a pair. Answers on a post card please.

screenman

Legendary Member
The same process with spanner and pipe can be more easily, (IMHO) using allen key and an old pair of handlebars. There is more chance of a cyclist having spare handlebars than a lump of steel tube big enough to slip over a spanner. While we are on the subject, why are they referred to as a pair of handlebars, or a pair of pants. You don't refer to a bra as a pair, why should call pants or handlebars a pair. Answers on a post card please.

Well you could not call them a pear could you.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
Not sure if this has been mentioned before (I could read the whole thread but I can't be bothered :becool: ), but you only have to fit pedals finger tight. They tighten in use anyway...

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Not sure if this has been mentioned before (I could read the whole thread but I can't be bothered :becool: ), but you only have to fit pedals finger tight. They tighten in use anyway...
I give mine a bit of a tweak with the pedal spanner but yep you don't need to hang off them tightening them up (never had a problem getting pedals off in 50yrs of cycling)

Ajax Bay

Guru
I need to invest in a long good quality wrench.
Or simply a section of pipe (not vacuum cleaner type ^_^) and the confidence that you're not going to break anything. For your own bikes (as opposed to a new love which is reluctant to relinquish her pedal virginity) i recommend a smear of grease on the threads before installation (others may suggest alternative anti-seize compounds). I hope your LBS did this. If not take them off and reinstall yourself.

Top Bottom