1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pedal removal

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by mikeloveshisrockhopper, 8 Jan 2017.

1. Adam4868

Adam4868 Senior Member

Don't wanna know what you get up to in your spare time !!

mjr and raleighnut like this.
  2. smutchin

smutchin Cat 6 Racer

I wear figure-hugging outfits and a silly hat and frolic in the countryside with other similarly attired men.

Adam4868 likes this.
  3. Ian H

Ian H Veteran

... and women.

mjr likes this.
  4. roadrash

roadrash cycle chatterer

that hammer in the last photo should do the trick :okay:

Attached Files:

5. ColinJ

ColinJ Climbs Hills Slowly!

I'm not talking about first editions of the works of Chaucer, or the like - old paperbacks from the local charity shop! :okay:

I now have a concrete building block to use. I found it in the cellar of my rental property and normally use it as a step when getting on and off the bike on my new turbo trainer. I overbalanced when trying to dismount the first time that I used the tt, not having allowed for the fact that the bike is held nearly 2 inches off the ground.

Last edited: 10 Jan 2017
    Ian H likes this.
  6. smutchin

smutchin Cat 6 Racer

I wish it were so, but the Sunday club ride is usually a conspicuously female-free zone. We're a very traditional club in that respect. Unfortunately.

7. Reiver

Reiver Whistling down the hills, tearing up the climbs

As they say in the shipyards of Glasow, that be the Monday (maun dae) Hammer -

8. Ian H

Ian H Veteran

That's a shame. Exeter Wheelers have managed to develop a good women's racing scene through the intervention of a couple of women who weren't going to be put off... but all this is entirely off-topic.

mjr and smutchin like this.
  9. fatblokish

fatblokish Über Member

Carpet in the shed, well I never!

Attached Files:

mjr likes this.
  10. mmmmartin

mmmmartin Random geezer

A small gas camping stove provided enough heat to shift some stuck pedals. A decent pedal spanner can be borrowed from a fellow cycling club member.

Heat until hot, try with pedal spanner. If no worky, repeat. If no worky, repeat again. Etc.

As an aside, I've found that every single piece of cheap kit has eventually been replaced with a proper, expensive, decent item for the toolkit. Including the cheap pedal spanner. YMMV.

11. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

I favour squeezing the spanner and crank like nutcrackers (and making sure I don't pinch my hand in them) if possible.

No, it's a phenomenon (doo-do-de-do-doo).

Reasons not to buy...

Next you'll be telling us you don't have a percussive maintainer among your shed tools!

Yeah, they don't last forever, but there's some perfectly workable ones to get you started until you have more idea what a decent expensive one looks like, as there's a few shockingly bad expensive tools out there...

12. ColinJ

ColinJ Climbs Hills Slowly!

I think my description of 'standing' on the pedal spanner was a bit misleading. I don't actually support my body weight on it, I use the superior strength of my leg backed up by my body weight to carefully apply whatever force is required to undo the pedal. So far, that has never required more than a hard push with my foot.

mjr likes this.
  13. mjr

mjr Wanting to Keep My EU Citizenship

No, I think that "standing on" covered it! :laugh:

ColinJ likes this.
  14. Psycolist

Psycolist NINJA BYKALIST

The same process with spanner and pipe can be more easily, (IMHO) using allen key and an old pair of handlebars. There is more chance of a cyclist having spare handlebars than a lump of steel tube big enough to slip over a spanner. While we are on the subject, why are they referred to as a pair of handlebars, or a pair of pants. You don't refer to a bra as a pair, why should call pants or handlebars a pair. Answers on a post card please.

15. screenman

screenman Guru

Well you could not call them a pear could you.