Pedalgate... Arrgghh another what type of pedal thread.....

Pedals on an MTB what would you do?

• Ride it on the plastic rat traps

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Fit the road pedals and use the road shoes

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Fit MTB SPD pedals (£20) and use an adapter (£12) on the older road shoes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MTB pedals and MTB shoes.. Its the only choice!!

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • Flat/Spd pedals and new shoes... best of both worlds (and S*d the expense)

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 23692

Proper MTB flats... Superstar Nano X pedals grip like glue and will make you learn MTB skills the proper way

OP
OP
simon the viking
Don’t, you’ll skid around on SPD cleats like bambi on ice!! Recessed cleats the only safe and sensible SPD option
Fair enough hadn't thought of that

OP
OP
simon the viking
Proper MTB flats... Superstar Nano X pedals grip like glue and will make you learn MTB skills the proper way

Now there's an idea go for a quality MTB Flat @raleighnut suggested a flat MTB pedal as well .... hadn't thought of that I must admit... food for thought...although it will be on commuting duties as well

Last edited:
OP
OP
simon the viking
The link [from your other thread] shows a bike with possibly plastic pedals but equally could be metal. Myself, stick with what it's delivered with and "upgrade" later on should you decide that's what you want/need.

I personally wouldn't want to walk in road shoes with a fully exposed SPD cleat - likely to be the worst combination of what's possible :smile:

Seen the bike definitely comes with plastic ones but if thread has taught me anything it's don't rush into it @Ffoeg and @raleighnut came up with the idea of a quality MTB flat, I assumed everyone used Spd's.... apparently not!

and I use SPD-SLs on the road bike and ended up on my ar*e at work due to a shiny floor

Last edited:
Got fed up with spd"s so went for these
ti_107760_a?w=513&h=513&qlt=80.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
The ones I linked to are only £12, from Decathlon.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
It will be mainly commuting and basic trails with Ben (little V) but close to Hicks Lodge in South Derbysire and Cannock Chase so hopefully some big boy trails occasionally (obviously understanding the limitations of the entry level mtb)

Assuming the commute is not too long, then I would echo the recommendation for flats. On a different note, there is no real limitation on an entry level bike - you still get the smiles per miles.

OP
OP
simon the viking
Seen the bike definitely comes with plastic ones but if thread has taught me anything it's don't rush into it @Ffoeg and @raleighnut came up with the idea of a quality MTB flat, I assumed everyone used Spd's.... apparently not!

and I use SPD-SLs on the road bike and ended up on my ar*e at work due to a shiny floor
Oops my bad... it has got metal pedals so will ride them for a few weeks before i decide if i want to go clip in spd, dual sided platform/spd or big platform..

Bike photos will follow in mtb forum

Last edited:
Top Bottom