Pedalgate... Arrgghh another what type of pedal thread.....

Pedals on an MTB what would you do?

• Ride it on the plastic rat traps

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Fit the road pedals and use the road shoes

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Fit MTB SPD pedals (£20) and use an adapter (£12) on the older road shoes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MTB pedals and MTB shoes.. Its the only choice!!

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • Flat/Spd pedals and new shoes... best of both worlds (and S*d the expense)

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 23692

Now there's an idea go for a quality MTB Flat @raleighnut suggested a flat MTB pedal as well .... hadn't thought of that I must admit... food for thought...although it will be on commuting duties as well
I commute on my Nanos :smile: ... saves me messing about with 2 pairs of shoes of wearing cleated shoes in t'office.

I did use XT T780 trekking pedals so I could use either cleated or flat shoes but the flat side is slippy as hell if there's any moisture about, hence me swapping for the Nanos, which are so grippy it';s like being on SPDs. The new version of the XT trekking pedals (T8000) now have pins on the flat side but IMO they are wussy in comparison to the Nano

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Interesting development ref shoes after looking at some in sports direct with 2 sets of cleat holes.. I looked again at my older lake shoes.. They seem to have slots for mtb cleats but no plates underneath. Dont remember anything else being in the box when i bought them so where do i get some from
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-cleat-nut-sh-a200/

They would normally be built into the shoe, but some shoes have them in a slight recess under the insole.
Use depends on the shoe - surgery may be required - i.e. cut a window in the midsole so you can put the cleat nut against the upper side of the carbon or nylon main sole.

SPD cleats can't be used without a shoe sole or something built up higher than the cleat to stop it rocking in the pedal.
You can get things like this that bolt under the cleat
https://www.evanscycles.com/shimano-spd-cleat-stabilising-adapters-EV148476

OP
OP
simon the viking
Thread resurrection alert..

I've had the bike nearly 2 weeks.. Done a few commutes on it and some basic trails.

The pedals that came with it are better than I thought and are a metal pedal with some spikes and give quite a bit of grip with running trainers so for the time being I'm leaving it as it is.

Long term plan is platform/spd pedals to have both options..

In the mean time... Next time out on the road I'm expecting a clipless moment

Top Bottom