Pedalgate... Arrgghh another what type of pedal thread.....

Pedals on an MTB what would you do?

• Ride it on the plastic rat traps

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Fit the road pedals and use the road shoes

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Fit MTB SPD pedals (£20) and use an adapter (£12) on the older road shoes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MTB pedals and MTB shoes.. Its the only choice!!

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • Flat/Spd pedals and new shoes... best of both worlds (and S*d the expense)

Votes: 5 25.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This time with a difference... I know all the options.... But what would you do....

I'm swapping one of my 2 roadies (Winter hack) for an MTB for various reasons.. Full story here

The bike will come with rat trap plastic pedals. I have 2 pairs of 3 bolt road shoes both Lakes and a spare pair of road SPD SL pedals from the winter hack

Now read the (complicated!) poll options and give me your views....

with regard to option 2 I'm a bit unsure as a lot of walking around MTB trail centres may kill the SPD SL cleats and options 4 and 5 I've only just paid £120 for the newer road shoes So Mrs V may not be too keen on another shoe purchase so soon.... and yes she will notice (However if a few quid comes my way for my imminent birthday who knows....)

so what would you do... I really am undecided..... leaning towards a platform/Spd pedal with new shoes so get 2 options of footwear but cash is the issue this side of 'you know what'

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Dual-sided SPD/flat pedals, so you can do both: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-a530-spd-single-sided-touring-pedals/

I've just fitted a pair to my GT Outpost Trail ice MTB and a pair are already on my Raleigh Pioneer, both of which come out for winter use but I occasionally use the Raleigh locally so can ride in standard shoes as well.

19635.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
simon the viking
Dual-sided SPD/flat pedals, so you can do both: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-a530-spd-single-sided-touring-pedals/

I've just fitted a pair to my GT ice MTB and a pair are already on my Raleigh Pioneer, both of which come out for winter use.

View attachment 434430
They are my preffered option however after some carbon lake spd sl shoes last month..... With approval from Mrs V cant see her being that keen again!

Will have to see what money falls out of envelopes on sunday! Not sure if i want 30 quid shoes again as last time i was on that budget they lasted literally a few months on the commute.

Last edited:

Jody

Stubborn git
Option 1 - No
Option 2 - Absolutely no
Option 3 - See 2
Option 4 - Which pedals. Flats or SPD
Option 5 - Flats (£20 ish) and a pair of trainers until you get used to things then see what you want use

OP
OP
simon the viking
Thanks for the replies... especially @Jody in depth reply... I had to go and re read my own poll!

I think its plastic rap traps for a week or 2... don't really want to fit road pedals to an MTB

If I go totally clip in it will be the standard Shimano M520's if I go double sided flat/spd (Flat for local trips to town etc) it will the ones @DCLane suggested.

to clarify I've been totally clip in on both bikes foe years first SPD then SPD SL. Some times I wish I'd not gone 'snobby road pedals for roads bike' route and stayed on SPD's but committed now with new carbon soled road shoes a month ago.

Its all down to cost I'm afraid I'll keep you all posted! Oh and pics of the bike in The MTB forum when I get it tomorrow

OP
OP
simon the viking
Interesting development ref shoes after looking at some in sports direct with 2 sets of cleat holes.. I looked again at my older lake shoes.. They seem to have slots for mtb cleats but no plates underneath. Dont remember anything else being in the box when i bought them so where do i get some from
IMG_20181018_172942.jpg

adamhearn

Veteran
The link [from your other thread] shows a bike with possibly plastic pedals but equally could be metal. Myself, stick with what it's delivered with and "upgrade" later on should you decide that's what you want/need.

I personally wouldn't want to walk in road shoes with a fully exposed SPD cleat - likely to be the worst combination of what's possible :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks for the replies... especially @Jody in depth reply... I had to go and re read my own poll!

I think its plastic rap traps for a week or 2... don't really want to fit road pedals to an MTB

If I go totally clip in it will be the standard Shimano M520's if I go double sided flat/spd (Flat for local trips to town etc) it will the ones @DCLane suggested.

to clarify I've been totally clip in on both bikes foe years first SPD then SPD SL. Some times I wish I'd not gone 'snobby road pedals for roads bike' route and stayed on SPD's but committed now with new carbon soled road shoes a month ago.

Its all down to cost I'm afraid I'll keep you all posted! Oh and pics of the bike in The MTB forum when I get it tomorrow
M520 do not have a flat side, clip in on both sides. A520 are flatter on one side but quite a small platform so a compromise esp if big footed. M324 more akin to a full size pedal

vickster

Legendary Member
Interesting development ref shoes after looking at some in sports direct with 2 sets of cleat holes.. I looked again at my older lake shoes.. They seem to have slots for mtb cleats but no plates underneath. Dont remember anything else being in the box when i bought them so where do i get some from View attachment 434456
Don’t, you’ll skid around on SPD cleats like bambi on ice!! Recessed cleats the only safe and sensible SPD option

Top Bottom