Pedaling Technique: Which part of the leg do you use?

Which part of your body do you use to pedal?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I'd already seen it... some people have crazy ideas... the whole point about the conventional pedalling set-up is that it's developed to be as efficient as it can be with the minimum of effort and balances the turning forces to keep the upper body steady and level... anything which introduces wasteful motion works against the rider's efficient transfer of power.

Unless it's just for a laugh, in which case carry on...

fimm

Veteran
OP, I think it is a sensible question. Two things I was told:
1) imagine you have dog poo on your shoe and you are trying to scrape it off as you pass through the bottom of the stroke.
2) find somewhere safe and try pedalling with one leg only (i.e. take the other leg right away from the pedal). Try and make the motion as smooth as possible. This is really hard but if you keep at it it is supposed to be good for your pedalling action. (It is easier done on a turbo trainer but I'm assuming you don't have such a thing.)

AnnaNanna

Regular
Hello, can I add my tuppence worth on this?

I've only been on a bike for about 30mins in the last eight years, but for what it's worth, I think I use my thighs and calves. I can focus on certain parts of my legs and feel them working more. I don't really think my feet do much, although they were certainly hurting the other day too!

My thighs hurt more when I'm going faster, but my calves seem to be in use for general moving the bike-Ness

Top Bottom