Pedals and shoes, help please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

btw Jo, you want them quite tight. If they're for summer shoes don't try them with thick socks if you're going to be always wearing think socks with them. If you've ever tried cycling in loose shoes you'll realise how annoying it is

Night Train

Maker of Things
This has been a useful thread, I searched for shoes and found this thread as it started and have been following it. I want to go to my LBS and try on some shoes first to get the right fit. I don't know what a good fit is anymore as I have spent the last 15 years only wearing steel toe boots for everything.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I do think bonj might have a point about the ones he recommended, when I saw the 520s in person I thought they were amazingly small and fiddly, a cage around it makes sense to me.

Thanks for the shoe size info Brock. I intend to try some shimano shoes, only the two nearest bike shops don't stock them at all.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
For the hill, as it's right out side your door, if you have the gears, start off in a low gear - i.e. your speed will be low if you pedal at about 80-90 rpm. You need to warm up, so take the hill easy until warm, then start to shift the gears down. It's the same if starting on the flat - take it easy at first, warm up, then give it some.

Do you have triple chain rings (the cogs at the front by the pedals - are there three sets)...this will make things easier !

bonj2

Have you ever tried the pedals bonj? No, I didn't think so.

They're no trouble to flip over, you can use both sides with spd shoes on, and they give you more options.

Additionally, they are about the only clipless pedals that you can fix reflectors to and stay legal (and more visible) at night.

YES I HAVE tried them and they are a NIGHTMARE.
You may have got the knack of them, but I found them a pain in the arse.
Just because YOU like them and have got used to them doesn' mean a beginner is going to find them particularly easy to use.

bonj2

give me strength:rolleyes:

Brock

bonj said:
just like the feel of it better than 520s, hard to describe really - it sort of guides your foot towards the clip-in bit if you miss slightly.

And it's worth paying over 30 quid more for a pedal that's heavier and bulkier because it 'sort of guides your foot' ?

I don't understand what it means by 'pop up bindings' either, where does what pop up from, when?

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Bonj

Feel free to continue being an idiot in soapbox. That's what it's there for.

But please do try to keep your buffoonery in there. This is Beginners. It's where people -especially newbies who we should be welcoming and encouraging- ask questions and want fair replies, not your idiocy.

People in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones, Bonj is entitled to to express his opinions just as anyone else, so stop the bullying now, it gives really bad impression. :blush:

bonj2

Bonj

Feel free to continue being an idiot in soapbox. That's what it's there for.

But please do try to keep your buffoonery in there. This is Beginners. It's where people -especially newbies who we should be welcoming and encouraging- ask questions and want fair replies, not your idiocy.

Shut it.
If you give them advice that I consider might not be the best for them, or wrong advice, or even just advice that I think could be embellished upon or put into context or accompanied by another point of view, then I'll jolly well step forward and give them that other point of view or correct you where I think you're wrong.

I'm biting my tongue here, because I could continue this argument more strongly, but it would be by laying into you in a way that would possibly be hurtful, and I think you're a fairly sound bloke so I don't really want to to that. But if you feel the need to try to stand in my way further, then go right ahead and I'll damn well come out with it (but do it in the appropriate forum if you must pursue it).

I'll repeat what I said earlier. Beginners is where people ask questions. They deserve informed answers, based on experience and knowledge.

They don't deserve received wisdom, or to only hear the 'standard' accepted response.
What beginners want is a breadth of viewpoints, in order that they can pick the one that they think will work best for them. Usually that involves lots of people recommending different things for different reasons, they also want to hear the pros and cons of different pieces of kit from as many different people as possible. Don't make the mistake of assuming the perception that Beginners = Stupid/Naive.
If you've used the pedals I recommend, then I'd be more than welcome for you to point out the disadvantages of them, but for some reason, it seems you don't like it when this is reciprocated. If you want to go on telling me I haven't ever had any experience in using single-sided SPD pedals, then go right ahead, and like I say I'll tell you exactly what I think of my cycling experience in comparison to yours, but as I've said, it's probably very unproductive of me to do so, so please don't make me.

bonj2

Brock said:
And it's worth paying over 30 quid more for a pedal that's heavier and bulkier because it 'sort of guides your foot' ?

I don't understand what it means by 'pop up bindings' either, where does what pop up from, when?

easier to clip into for me personally, and if you miss you're still more likely to have a stable footing until you do manage to clip in. If you're not an MTBer I wouldn't expect you to understand. Extra few grams not an issue, extra £30 not an issue.

Top Bottom