Pedals and shoes, help please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

Jo25

Thanks for all the advice about shoes, pedals and the hill. I have done the hill 4 days in a row now, taking the advice about just taking it slow and steady and while I wouldn't say it is getting easier yet, it is at least bearable!

I received the shoes yesterday and just wanted to ask about the fitting of them, they are quite tight (any tighter and they would definitely be sent back) and was wondering if anyone knew if they are likely to have some give in them and is it just a case of wearing them in a bit?

Not tried the pedals yet, waiting till the weekend for that

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
How do you find the 324s? I've yet to find some shoes I like for them so not tried the spd side but I have to say my feet have come off the pedals more times in the last week than the previous thousands of miles on the other pedals.

bonj2

Brock said:
Ah ok, so you would'nt advise them for me then, not being an MTBer?

the 647s you mean? Well I wouldn't advise against them, but for me, personally, if you're not regularly having to set off on rough terrain then the advantage over 520s is limited.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Knee is somewhat knackered after yesterdays ride so thought it a perfect opportunity to go to a couple of bike shops. Got some road shoes as I liked them and went clipless tonight (really I should have rested but who cares it's too exciting). So far I don't have any problems whatsoever clipping out of them, that's so far been very easy but clipping in!!!!!!!!!!! Also for some very odd reason the left leg finds it fairly easy clipping in now but the right leg still cannot do it that well!? The other thing of notice is you can get as much pull up sometimes as I was getting pushdown before sometimes. Other than that the whole experience seems much smoother and I immediately switched to much lower gears :thumbsup:.

Mclarent

I have a quick question for y'all, i have a pedal decision to make! I have my first proper road bike on order, a Bianchi, which i'm planning to use for a duathlon and a few long rides at the weekend. It comes with shimano spd touring pedals. Question is, should i bother upgrading the pedals? At the moment i have a pair of spd shoes, so not sure if its worth the extra cash for both pedals and shoes - was considering Shimano Ultegra (spd-sl) pedals, which I can source for not much extra cash. In terms of distance, Duathlon is 20k and I'm looking to do rides of 40-60km at the weekends for training and pleasure. Might also think about a commute of about 10k. When people talk about hot spots, do they mean that there are areas of my feet that will get hotter if I use SPDs? I'm also wondering about weight, for the type of riding I'm talking about am I stupid to worry about that?

bonj2

with spds as opposed to spd-sl it's just that the weight's concentrated over a slightly smaller area so slightly more pressure. For me it's more noticeable when coasting out of the saddle. But you've got to try the SPDs really.

OP
OP
J

Jo25

Hi,

Just thought I'd give a brief update in case anyone was interested - sent the Shimano shoes back as they were uncomfortably tight and had no problem fitting and using the flat side of the pedals. They didn't have the shoes in the next size up so went for Specialzed Taho shoes, which arrived today, fit well and look fairly good too. Have had a little go with the clipless pedals and as MY said, getting out of them is no problem but finding clipping in quite difficult! Guess it's just a case of practice and need a flat space to do that really, so if you see a strange women cycling round the supoermarket car park at the weekend clipping and unclipping that will be me!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Jo25 - my own experiences as a newbie with clipless pedals (SPDs) are here, as is some good advice from other forum members- I found my first trips were easier with one clipless pedal and one flat. For what it's worth, the SPDs feel more natural than flat pedals now...

McLarent - I use both SPD and SPD-SL (I change the pedals over for the weekend). SPDs are great for the commute, as I have to walk through the train station, and to the start of the bike path at one end.

The SPD-SLs are more comfortable after an hour or so of riding (for me).

Clipping out of the pedal is no more difficult in either system (imo - I use M520 SPD pedals with SH-51 cleats, and Ultegra SPD-SL pedals with yellow (6 deg. float) cleats). I do find clipping into the SPD-SL pedals a bit harder (you have to sort of "hook" the pedal, and then push down) but I've not used them as much, so that could just be lack of practice. I've bored everyone with my experiences of it all in this thread.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Jo25 said:
I hope my clipless moments come in the deserted supermarket car park!

Folklore says that the more people witness it, the less likely it is to happen again... :wacko:

It is worth the effort - they're hugely more efficient than flats, and your feet will feel much more secure in wet weather.

OP
OP
J

Jo25

Lone Rider said:
I also asked a question about hills and got a lot of very useful advice her : http://www.cyclechat.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=12433

Thanks, I have been following that thread with interest - and the advice has been very helpful, haven't done the hill for 2 days now due to resting a hurting knee and the downpour this morning (no waterproofs - when I get some I will try my best not just to be a fairweather cyclist!) and am almost missing it!

Top Bottom