Pedals and shoes, help please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Jo25 said:
Hi,

Just thought I'd give a brief update in case anyone was interested - sent the Shimano shoes back as they were uncomfortably tight and had no problem fitting and using the flat side of the pedals. They didn't have the shoes in the next size up so went for Specialzed Taho shoes, which arrived today, fit well and look fairly good too. Have had a little go with the clipless pedals and as MY said, getting out of them is no problem but finding clipping in quite difficult! Guess it's just a case of practice and need a flat space to do that really, so if you see a strange women cycling round the supoermarket car park at the weekend clipping and unclipping that will be me!

I didn't like the shimano shoes in terms of fit, looks of functionality either, nearly bought specialized but they were a bit too much for me. I should probably do a bit more practice in supermarkets. I've found I can keep the weaker leg clipped in (right leg) at lights pretty easily and then clip in the other and wizz off into the distance. So far the SPDs have been very promising doing a few hill climbs and mile sprints on them and got pretty favourable speeds on both for me.

bonj2

Why is it that pretty much everyone seems to unclip their left foot at lights, while I seem to be the only one to unclip right? My left foot stays clipped in from start to finish.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
bonj said:
Why is it that pretty much everyone seems to unclip their left foot at lights, while I seem to be the only one to unclip right? My left foot stays clipped in from start to finish.

+1

I've heard several reasons for unclipping the left - you don't fall in traffic if you have a clipless moment, you can rest your foot on the kerb etc. I found it didn't feel right at all for me, so stuck with the foot I put down when using flats.

OP
OP
J

Jo25

marinyork said:
I didn't like the shimano shoes in terms of fit, looks of functionality either, nearly bought specialized but they were a bit too much for me. I should probably do a bit more practice in supermarkets. I've found I can keep the weaker leg clipped in (right leg) at lights pretty easily and then clip in the other and wizz off into the distance. So far the SPDs have been very promising doing a few hill climbs and mile sprints on them and got pretty favourable speeds on both for me.

I could ony get the Specialized as they were on sale at Evans.

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp;jsessionid=0363CE5300393D61A7979E718A813CC0.tc7?style=21135

Nick1979

marinyork said:
I didn't like the shimano shoes in terms of fit, looks of functionality either, nearly bought specialized but they were a bit too much for me.

So which shoes did you end up buying?
I think of going clipless (or 'half-clipless', as in M324!) myself and tried the Taho (guy version) at my local Evans, really nice shoes, very comfy, nice look, but a bit pricey just for my fairweather only Sunday ride!

custardpie

What a great thread! Am considering clipless pedals and shoes myself, having toe clips - no probs getting my feet out but I am often to be seen with one foot in and one on the flat side (usually left!) and the toe clip scraping along the ground while frantic wobbling goes on as I try and sort myself out! Can anyone recommend a budget shoe that is fairly wide at the front - think it will be SPD style as I ride a Trek hybrid.

Hills - hate them with a vengeance, but will try the tips suggested in these threads!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Custardpie, if you're buying shoes and pedals in one go, Merlin Cycles do SPD shoe and M520 bundles - (I got my MT41 and M520s there) you can usually end up saving a bit over the cost of buying both separately.

custardpie

John the Monkey said:
Custardpie, if you're buying shoes and pedals in one go, Merlin Cycles do SPD shoe and M520 bundles - (I got my MT41 and M520s there) you can usually end up saving a bit over the cost of buying both separately.

Thanks - will have a look

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Sadly I don't have a local evans so I had to go somewhere else. I bought some road shoes called polaris. When I say more expensive the specialized at the place I went to were £80-130. I'd say most of the ones I tried on were good or all right but the shimano seemed to be made for people with little spacemen feet and were upto 2 sizes out!

Got up lateish this morning so was in a rush and biked in when I wasn't going to and slaughtered the commute taking 5 mins off whilst still being held up by traffic in several locations. Didn't even feel particularly knackered either although got a bit of helmet overheat was the only affect.

twowheelsgood

If i were to give one bit of advice, it would be to go for a touring shoe with the three velco straps and not laces. I have an old Nike pair which were about £30.

They are much easier to get in and out of and to adjust so they hold your foot properly. Plus no laces to get tangled up either.

Top Bottom