Pedals and shoes, help please!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jo25

Hi,

I am very new to cycling and even newer to this forum, so I hope you will forgive me this very basic question!

I have a Trek 7200 hybrid bike which I use to commute to work (only about 3 miles but VERY hilly) I need to buy some new trainers and was wondering whether to go for cycling shoes instead, but I am totally confused by the terminology and knowing what would work with my bike and whether it is worth buying new pedals too. Can anyone give me some advice and explain the whole SPD, cleats, clipless stuff please?

Cheers!

Hello Jo25 - what Mr Paul said.

Tea? Coffee? Get yourself into the café and feast on the cakes of life to be found there. :angry:

Brock

Those shoes are a bargain at that price. SJS cycles do shimano double sided SPD pedals for £15.99 + delivery which makes them a cheaper option if you don't need a flat side for normal shoes.

The term 'clipless' refers confusingly to a pedal you can clip into with cleats on the soles of your shoes. It refers to the fact that the pedal has no toe clips and straps.
'SPD' is a Shimano standard, and probably the clipless system most suited to your needs. You get 'cleats' which come with the pedals, and screw into the bottom of the shoe, recessed so you can walk comfortably. You engage them by pushing the foot forward and down onto the pedal, and release by twisting the ankle outward. The force needed to release your foot from the pedal can be adjusted by way of a screw on the pedal itself.
At first it seems a bit scary having your feet clipped into the pedals, and at some point you'll almost certainly have a 'clipless moment' where you forget to disengage and topple over embarrassingly. The benefit though is well worth it, being able to power the pedal through its entire circle makes your cycling more efficient and hills easier. It's safer too, since your feet will never slip from the pedals.

Welcome to the forum!

OP
OP
J

Jo25

Hi,

Thanks very much to all of you for the advice, I will order some shoes and pedals asap.

I wonder if you could help with something else, as I said I am trying to use the bike for the commute to work and I have a 525ft rise in height in about 1/2 a mile (it is also immediately I get out my front door) and unfortunately I am finding it hard to get the motivation to stick at it. Is there anything you can suggest that may help me to find the first hilly bit less painful? As I live in a valley, there aren't really any flat rides that I can do round here.

Cheers

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I got the PD-M324s the other day infact. I thought even the flat side was an improvement tbh. I'm yet sadly to find any cycling shoes that cheap locally though or any I particularly liked :smile:.

marinyork

As for the Hills Jo25, it'll take some time. Try 100-200ft of it at first, stay seated pedal in a low gear as fast as you can whilst keeping it smooth and breath as steadily as possible. Over the space of a few weeks it'll improve and you may even feel ready to give the full hill a bash.

When I moved here where it's very hilly I found a 150ft climb to practise on and the bigger 600ft climbs are possible now.

Bigtallfatbloke

Those shoes look pretty good for touring as well...how stiff are they on the bike?? I have some nike walkable road shoes which look more like road shoes than these and are very stiff on the bike (I love 'em) but off the bike although they are comfy and definatly walkable, I would not want to walk any long distances in them.

I thought I might try these others...are they strong enough for when Ipull hard up on the pedals??

OP
OP
J

Jo25

I've just placed an order for the shoes and some pedals, I went for a cheaper version of the pedals:
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebw...2&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c003154c003147c003261
let's hope I don't regret it!

I will let you know how I get on with both.

Just been out for another go up the hil and made it all the way with only feeling like I was going to die twice! I think before I was trying to get it over with as fast as I could whereas this time tried to remember your advice marinyork and took it very slow and steady, bring on the workdays so I can go again!

marinyork

Strangely enough those shoes are one of the pairs I tried to get hold of, so I'm quite pleased User thinks they are quite good. Is it true that you have to size up one size with Shimano?

bonj2

I'd personally recommend getting double-sided pedals, like these
They're much better than single sided ones as you won't have trouble flipping them over to get to the correct side, and as a beginner, you won't be tempted to take the lazy option and use the flat side (as you won't be able to). More over, you won't ever be caught in the extremely disconcerting trap of cycling along with one pedal on the clip side and one pedal on the flat side.
The above pedals rule. they are very easy to clip into, and out of.

As far as shoes go, ones with velcro straps are going to be a lot better than ones with fiddly laces that might get caught places.

col

Legendary Member
Jo25 said:
I've just placed an order for the shoes and some pedals, I went for a cheaper version of the pedals:
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/ebw...2&f_SortOrderID=1&f_bct=c003154c003147c003261
let's hope I don't regret it!

I will let you know how I get on with both.

Just been out for another go up the hil and made it all the way with only feeling like I was going to die twice! I think before I was trying to get it over with as fast as I could whereas this time tried to remember your advice marinyork and took it very slow and steady, bring on the workdays so I can go again!

Hi jo25,it will get easier,i have a similar problem,though nowhere near as steep as yours,it doesnt matter which way i go,i always have the hill to get home,or up the other side if im going to work,like MY has said,take your time,and get used to it,you will be flying up it before you know it.:smile:

Brock

bonj said:
I'd personally recommend getting double-sided pedals, like these
They're much better than single sided ones as you won't have trouble flipping them over to get to the correct side, and as a beginner, you won't be tempted to take the lazy option and use the flat side (as you won't be able to). More over, you won't ever be caught in the extremely disconcerting trap of cycling along with one pedal on the clip side and one pedal on the flat side.
The above pedals rule. they are very easy to clip into, and out of.

As far as shoes go, ones with velcro straps are going to be a lot better than ones with fiddly laces that might get caught places.

What's the point of the big plasticky surround on those?

Do agree about the velcro straps, although I always tucked the laces in satisfactorily on the MT20Ds. Nice shoes.

Brock

marinyork said:
Strangely enough those shoes are one of the pairs I tried to get hold of, so I'm quite pleased User thinks they are quite good. Is it true that you have to size up one size with Shimano?

I normally take a size 11 shoe, I got Shimano size 47 which is equivalent to 12 apparently and they're about perfect if I don't wear thick socks. Any tighter and I'd be in trouble. Perhaps you could try some other Shimano shoe locally just to get a feeling for their sizing?

bonj2

Brock said:
What's the point of the big plasticky surround on those?

Do agree about the velcro straps, although I always tucked the laces in satisfactorily on the MT20Ds. Nice shoes.

just like the feel of it better than 520s, hard to describe really - it sort of guides your foot towards the clip-in bit if you miss slightly.

Top Bottom