Pedals for Trek DS2 help with legal regulations.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Midsrider

Midsrider

I do think I will buy the Bontrager pedals as seeing them and reviews they are great pedals and are perfect my varied rides.

Good to see you all agree it’s a crazy rule! Just wanted your thoughts as many experienced cyclists here.

classic33

Leg End Member
The law also says that it is still legal to shoot a Welsman in Chester after sunset with a bow and arrow.
Within the City walls only.

OP
OP
Midsrider

Midsrider

Then you are breaking the law. Why break one law yet be mind boggling anal about obeying another?

Because I put the bell on from my old bike when I got it home.

Not being anal about it,,,,...was asking people’s views on it, as UK law is requiring it. I have read some places where accidents have happened that they brought it up when the accident went to court.

Sorry to boggle your mind,

Because I put the bell on from my old bike when I got it home.

Not being anal about it,,,,...was asking people’s views on it, as UK law is requiring it. I have read some places where accidents have happened that they brought it up when the accident went to court.

Sorry to boggle your mind,

I've never heard of it (pedal reflectors) being brought up in court proceedings. Do you have a link?

Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Get a 'Northwave' Skeleton jersey like mine, you won't need anything else reflective

1612096246286.png

I've been riding 40 years now and I've never heard of this being brought up in court.

Only my Brompton has reflective pedals.

I'd really not worry about it. I would get two rear lights if you are planning on regular night rides. You don't know if your light fails or falls off etc.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
All the cycling shoes that I have seen have reflective patches on the heel, as do most overshoes.

A technical/legal conundrum for discussion....
Shoes have a reflective strip. If you ride clipless pedals your shoes are fixed to the pedals. (Look at tri bikes in transition and they all have shoes fixed). Does this mean that the pedal then has a reflector fitted to it?

Don't say no because the shoe can be removed: most lights are now clipped onto brackets. The brackets can have no lights on them.

One for the lawyers methinks.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Hi all,

I recently bought a Trek DS2 and as with most bikes, the pedals are just ok but not great.

I was just going to order the much better Bontrager pedals in the same colour as my bike when I read about the law that riding a bike when it gets dark must have reflectors on.

now I will not be riding the bike much at all in the dark, but occasionally will, say just once, twice a month but for a short journey,
and recently my son and myself have been out having fun on our bikes and came back when it was dusk, we had our front lights on and 2 rear lights on and currently our pedals do have reflectors on.

i have read on some forums that it can happen but very rare where cyclists have had £50 on spot fine, this was for lack of lights but they did mention no reflectors on pedals.

With in mind, any recommendations as I am finding mountain bike style pedals is what I’m after hard to find with reflectors.
The ones I was going to buy prior to knowing the legal requirements was these in VOLT yellow to match my Trek bike.....but black will also do.
https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/...ite-mtb-pedal-set/p/23423/?colorCode=bluedark

Any advice will be great please as I’m not an experienced cyclist. My main use is to get fit, family rides and occasional road, and with the boys on light tracks and over fields etc.

Amazon have these......but no feedback really, and I do not like the white cap on the end.https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08C7QVC6P/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_NH2QRR9971XS4520FWVD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

How about these DMR pedals?, available in a wide range of colours and with reflectors fitted.

They are a legal requirement at night but I have never heard of anyone being prosecuted or even challenged for an absence of them.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
I wish I still had the photo of several police officers on bikes (without pedal reflectors fitted) at the Pedal on Parliament event a few years ago. I mentioned it (lack of pedal reflectors) to them and was unanimously told that ‘If you have adequate working lights the likelihood of you being spoken to by the police is almost zero.’

They have far greater priorities to deal with.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
A technical/legal conundrum for discussion....
Shoes have a reflective strip. If you ride clipless pedals your shoes are fixed to the pedals. (Look at tri bikes in transition and they all have shoes fixed). Does this mean that the pedal then has a reflector fitted to it?

Don't say no because the shoe can be removed: most lights are now clipped onto brackets. The brackets can have no lights on them.

One for the lawyers methinks.
No conundrum because they're not 'legal' reflectors, that is they don't conform to a BS/ISO standard.

Top Bottom