Pedals for Trek DS2 help with legal regulations.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Midsrider

Hi all,

I recently bought a Trek DS2 and as with most bikes, the pedals are just ok but not great.

I was just going to order the much better Bontrager pedals in the same colour as my bike when I read about the law that riding a bike when it gets dark must have reflectors on.

now I will not be riding the bike much at all in the dark, but occasionally will, say just once, twice a month but for a short journey,
and recently my son and myself have been out having fun on our bikes and came back when it was dusk, we had our front lights on and 2 rear lights on and currently our pedals do have reflectors on.

i have read on some forums that it can happen but very rare where cyclists have had £50 on spot fine, this was for lack of lights but they did mention no reflectors on pedals.

With in mind, any recommendations as I am finding mountain bike style pedals is what I’m after hard to find with reflectors.
The ones I was going to buy prior to knowing the legal requirements was these in VOLT yellow to match my Trek bike.....but black will also do.
https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/...ite-mtb-pedal-set/p/23423/?colorCode=bluedark

Any advice will be great please as I’m not an experienced cyclist. My main use is to get fit, family rides and occasional road, and with the boys on light tracks and over fields etc.

Amazon have these......but no feedback really, and I do not like the white cap on the end.https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08C7QVC6P/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_NH2QRR9971XS4520FWVD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Lights are much better than they used to be, and yes, use them if it's dark.
Pedal reflectors? I do believe it's still a regulation, but I've never heard of anyone getting done for (lack of) them. Few people would actively adhere to it as they're marginal/no benefit, compared to decent lights.
Honestly, don't bother with them.

OP
OP
Midsrider

Midsrider

Lights are much better than they used to be, and yes, use them if it's dark.
Pedal reflectors? I do believe it's still a regulation, but I've never heard of anyone getting done for (lack of) them. Few people would actively adhere to it as they're marginal/no benefit, compared to decent lights.
Honestly, don't bother with them.

yeah, I have good lights on my bike and 3 or 4 of them too.....front light and 2 at rear and I have an extra front light if it’s too dark on the back paths where we live etc.

90% of pedals don’t have them! even a lot of road pedals from what I see,

OP
OP
Midsrider

Midsrider

Few pedals come supplied with reflectors these days. I can't think of any clipless paedals that even have space for them.

thank for the reply, yeah I noticed this too. It was strange when I asked a local bike shop and he said he will look through their trade list and he came back and said, only the cheap ones do....and to try amazon.

As someone who is pretty new to regular ridding - I am shocked this is a regulation as you guys have said, good lights are so much better.

OP
OP
Midsrider

Midsrider

Get some reflective bands for your ankles :okay:

Great idea!!! But still not legal..lol

for my amount of road cycling I do not think it’s an issue really.......but it’s a legal requirement which is strange one as good lights should over ride this I would say.

The law says that all new bikes must leave the shop with a bell on. Did yours?

thank for the reply, yeah I noticed this too. It was strange when I asked a local bike shop and he said he will look through their trade list and he came back and said, only the cheap ones do....and to try amazon.

As someone who is pretty new to regular ridding - I am shocked this is a regulation as you guys have said, good lights are so much better.

Stupid laws hang around for a while until someone can be bothered to update them. Laziness is nothing to be shocked at.

vickster

Legendary Member
You’re meant to have lights as well as the reflectors.
However, as above no one will enforce the reflectors. Frankly given you say you’ll only occasionally ride after dark, don’t sweat it. With the pedals you’ve linked, I’d be far more concerned about shin shredding! :ohmy:

If you want the law reviewed, lobby your MP ;)

Great idea!!! But still not legal..lol

for my amount of road cycling I do not think it’s an issue really.......but it’s a legal requirement which is strange one as good lights should over ride this I would say.

Also, if you got stopped, just plead ignorance. "Is that right officer ...?"
Noone cares.

Top Bottom