Pedals - Musing on a Trip to the Darkside

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MacB

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
bonj said:
I tried to pick through this to try and work out what the actual question(s) is/are, but it just seems like a load of confused rambling, with the answers appearing to babble on a bit suggesting that those abortionate pedals that are "spd one side flat the other", which I have never understood the point of, might be the answer, but appearing to contain no actual logic.
Anyone care to translate?

tricky, all I read was 'my name is Bonj and I'm a dickhead', maybe the translation bit's wonky in both directions

Radius

SHREDDER
MacBludgeon said:
The cleats come with the pedals yes? so you just need the correctly soled shoes to accept the cleat? Will any shoe saying SPD compatible, ie two holes in the sole across the foot rather than length ways, SPD rather than SPD-R, fit the bill?

Yes to all.

I'm not planning on off roading so my thoughts are, stiffish sole, lightweight mesh design on top that drys quickly. Was thinking for Winter/wet weather I'd just use waterproof socks or overshoes rather than trying to find something waterproof.

Yes! :ohmy:

And unless you really want to be able to use normal shoes as well on the bike, I'd just go for some M520 pedals rather than this platform double sided ballocks.

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

ta folks, one more question on shoes, which model would leave the most lasting impression on Bonj when you kick him? Just wondering like

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

threebikesmcginty said:
I'd be happier if you thrashed him with a mudguard!

could be a new poll, which bicycle part would you like to beat Bonj with? Not sure I'd go out of my way but, just in passing, casual like, maybe a lash with an inner tube?

Use Boots. (I might mean baby powder here or...:o)

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
marinyork said:
I have M324s. Wouldn't recomment them, very pricey, very heavy. Not got the A520 or 530, they look better to be honest.

very pricey? - my M324's cost £29 last year off eBay (brand new) and now seem to cost about the same as A520 or A530's

very heavy? - I probably carry more excess weight on one upper arm.... :ohmy:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
MacBludgeon said:
Just to check, when people say single sided SPD does that mean flat pedal one side SPD the other? Also what's the difference between the A520, A530 and M324, is it only weight?

you'll find out the diff the first time you try to pedal off under load on the non-SPD side of the A series pedals when wearing a cleat or with wet street shoes on - slip and slide tastic

you'll find out the diff the first time you lash up trying to pedal off under load and the serrated edge of the M series cage eats one of your shins.

Google images of Shimano M324 or Shimano A530 and the difference is immediately clear.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
GrumpyGreg said:
very pricey? - my M324's cost £29 last year off eBay (brand new) and now seem to cost about the same as A520 or A530's

very heavy? - I probably carry more excess wieght on one uppoer arm.... :ohmy:

The going rate is about £40, some places sell them for about £50. They are weighted at 530 grams. That's very expensive for someone wanting to give them a go/experiment/whatever.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Al, this site do pedal/shoe combos at good prices. Mine cost £45 for the both. The link to shoe/pedal combos doesn't appear to work at the mo but it might be worth ringing them if they have what you intend to buy.

www.cyclexpress.co.uk

OP
OP
MacB

MacB

calm down guys, I've ordered the Wellgo single sided ones, I'll think about double sided when I'm happy.

Greg, thanks for that, I see what you mean, A series not so grippy for flat shoes, M series chance of taking skin of shins(so no different to normal then)

As the single sided will end up on the bike I use a lot with flat shoes then the Wellgo, with the more M series metal cage, looks fine.

Rich, thanks for the link will have a look.

Top Bottom